Disable CEL When Going Catless?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my turbos blew, they also blew copious amounts of oil into my exhaust. So much so that I’m now fighting CEL’s from the sensors in the exhaust and I’m certain my cats are done. They probably were already with almost 200,000 miles on my truck/Ecoboost.
Since I’m only using my truck for off road use, I’m going catless. What are my options for killing the CEL at this point? My tuner won’t do it for liability reasons so I need alternatives.

2015 Ecoboost Expedition
194,000 miles
New drivers side turbo/manifold/coolant lines and fittings
Newish drivers side turbo.
93 octane race tune from ZFG Racing using HP Tuners hardware.
C

Can I tune these sensors out myself using HP Tuners? Anyone with solid experience on this? I just spent a week under my truck replacing my turbo and manifold and coolant lines/fittings, I’m ready to drive this thing (off road of course).

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get an already made circuit board with instructions for the rear O-2 sensor delete on eBay. You will need to retain the front sensors for proper fuel/air calculations for the fuel injection. Some people will let the motor ingest a can of SeaFoam through a vacuum line to flush oil off the cat converters too.

Ford Rear O2 Sensor Delete Emulator on eBay

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Maybe you should make sure you run it and let them heat up fully and give it some time before going catless? Those things are a chemical factory and they heat up and might change with some miles. Just a suggestion. I dunno.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was getting codes before the turbo blew. They just came less often.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Btw, seafoam treatments are not recommended for ecoboosts due to issues it can cause the turbos. So that’s not really an option anyway.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Btw, seafoam treatments are not recommended for ecoboosts due to issues it can cause the turbos. So that’s not really an option anyway.

Actually SeaFoam is fine in any turbo and dissolves oil and carbon residue throughout the exhaust, including the cats. But to each his own.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cheapest option is "plug non-foulers". I ran them in another vehicle years ago. Find ones that fit the threads, drill out one so the O2 sensor can need screwed into it, screw that assembly into the other noon-fouler, and install that whole assembly into the exhaust. Repeat for the other side.

It isolates the after cat sensor from the brunt of the exhaust gasses and makes it look like things are working as designed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357