Disappointing 4WD performance on snow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Got some snow and ice recently and figured the Expy should do well with 4WD auto. Certainly, if I needed top performance in the slow I’d invest in snow tires, but I feel like the Expy should be able to deal with the relatively mild and infrequent snow here. But even on a minimal incline, 4-auto struggled to maintain forward progress.

My other vehicle (also on all seasons) has a selectable 4-hi mode that locks the differential and it has zero issues.

I think the issue with the Expy is that it waits for a lot of slip to occur before actually transferring power to the front axle, and by then it is too late.

Kind of disappointed that the Expy does not offer a manual 4-hi mode option as standard.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got some snow and ice recently and figured the Expy should do well with 4WD auto. Certainly, if I needed top performance in the slow I’d invest in snow tires, but I feel like the Expy should be able to deal with the relatively mild and infrequent snow here. But even on a minimal incline, 4-auto struggled to maintain forward progress.

My other vehicle (also on all seasons) has a selectable 4-hi mode that locks the differential and it has zero issues.

I think the issue with the Expy is that it waits for a lot of slip to occur before actually transferring power to the front axle, and by then it is too late.

Kind of disappointed that the Expy does not offer a manual 4-hi mode option as standard.

Did you put it in Snow Mode?

Cause if you did you would have noticed a completely different behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

1) get it out of auto.

2) swap out the trash stock tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+100000

I’ve never had such awful stocks. There was zero chance I was risking driving on them in the winter.

Stock tires are slippery as hell in snow.
I had mine "SIPED" and they are a little less horrible.

I can't get out of my driveway in 2wd because there is packed down snow on the driveway.

The EPA push has forced most to put road slicks on now, and everyone crahses in snow because of them. Its real clear in a snow here, any economy related vehicle is going turtle pack because the tires are smooth and useless.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had zero issues with the factory 22’s. Climbed my steep driveway cover in slush and snow no problem today.

In the slush and snow in snow mode pulled out from a dead stop on a hill, no issues.

Could they be better, yes. Will I swap them with some good AT’s when the time comes, yes. But they are pretty good for OEM in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had zero issues with the factory 22’s. Climbed my steep driveway cover in slush and snow no problem today.

In the slush and snow in snow mode pulled out from a dead stop on a hill, no issues.

Could they be better, yes. Will I swap them with some good AT’s when the time comes, yes. But they are pretty good for OEM in my opinion.

What are they? Because I’ve literally never had a worse set of tires in my life than the OEMs on my Navi.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What are they? Because I’ve literally never had a worse set of tires in my life than the OEMs on my Navi.

Hankook Dynapro HT’s I believe....