DIY Oil Change--How much oil to add?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have had the 2015 Expy since November 2020. CARFAX indicated the selling dealer did an oil change June 2020 and 106K miles. The oil life monitor had gone to zero by June 2021 and 111K miles (12 months and 5K miles). I thought you could go 10K miles on the oil, so I suppose the algorithm takes into account time as well as miles? In preparation, I watched several YouTube videos on the oil change procedure, and noted all said the oil filter was incredibly difficult to access. Found this to be quite accurate, but slogged through it anyway acquiring several bruises on my forearms in the process. Final question: manual says 6.0 quarts to fill including a new filter, but upon checking dipstick ahead of the procedure, I noted it always read high, above the top mark. So, I only added 5.0 quarts of oil when I filled it, and even though the level is at the bottom dot on the dipstick, the oil pressure display says "OK". Wondering how "safe" it is to run with 5.0 quarts until the oil level burns down a little? Or maybe just add 0.5 quart to bring level to the middle of the two dots?

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I takes 6 qts. The stick isn’t always accurate depending on how level the vehicle is sitting. I assure you that 6 qt. capacity is what the engineers designed it to hold. The stick is more just for a reference.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have had the 2015 Expy since November 2020. CARFAX indicated the selling dealer did an oil change June 2020 and 106K miles. The oil life monitor had gone to zero by June 2021 and 111K miles (12 months and 5K miles). I thought you could go 10K miles on the oil, so I suppose the algorithm takes into account time as well as miles? In preparation, I watched several YouTube videos on the oil change procedure, and noted all said the oil filter was incredibly difficult to access. Found this to be quite accurate, but slogged through it anyway acquiring several bruises on my forearms in the process. Final question: manual says 6.0 quarts to fill including a new filter, but upon checking dipstick ahead of the procedure, I noted it always read high, above the top mark. So, I only added 5.0 quarts of oil when I filled it, and even though the level is at the bottom dot on the dipstick, the oil pressure display says "OK". Wondering how "safe" it is to run with 5.0 quarts until the oil level burns down a little? Or maybe just add 0.5 quart to bring level to the middle of the two dots?

Information regarding the engine oil life monitor and the engine oil capacity is contained in the vehicle owner’s manual.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't run any engine low on purpose, I know my V-10 didn't like being a little low and it let me know also (ticks and rattles). Running a little high won't hurt anything, I think we have all overfilled them a bit at one time or another.
My 2007 5.4 is going to get 7 quarts if 5w-30 full synthetic in about an hour. I never touch the stick when changing oil and don't need to.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Pretty basic stuff. Fill it to the center of the fill range on the dipstick. You never know how much oil is left in the motor when you drain it and the level is the determining factor, not some "capacity" spec. After filling, run the motor momentarily to fill the filter and oil passages, check again and adjust your level again. The "capacity" ratings are generally for a dry engine. Yours is never dry. Don't they teach this stuff in school?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"What used to be commonplace thinking is now considered to be remarkable"
Kevin Cameron, motorcycle engineer

Boy did he hit the nail on the proverbial head!

No one with a modern 4 stroke engine wants the oil to remain in the engine for 10,000 miles. The oil isn't necessarily the issue, the filter, is.

Most oil filters go into "bypass" mode when clogged & full so all that dirt remains circulating, embedding etc....not a good situation.

For the ****; Fill a new oil filter with oil, pull old filter, keeping it full of the dirty oil. Weigh them both.....The delta is the weight of the dirt alone, over the 3500 or 4000 miles....think of double that amount circulating for 6-8K miles?

jeff

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty basic stuff. Fill it to the center of the fill range on the dipstick. You never know how much oil is left in the motor when you drain it and the level is the determining factor, not some "capacity" spec. After filling, run the motor momentarily to fill the filter and oil passages, check again and adjust your level again. The "capacity" ratings are generally for a dry engine. Yours is never dry. Don't they teach this stuff in school?
My stick says exactly full every time I put 7 quarts in but it was never dry and I usually don't even pull the stick to check the level.

Last edited:

Utah Driver

Reaction score
I can't believe how much of a pain it is to change the oil on my 16' and I am a seasoned diesel mechanic. If you are changing oil in a "quick lube" place with a pit it would be a different story. There is a drip tray under the filter but that only catches the oil when the vehicle is level. You have to put the Expedition on ramps in order to get under it and remove the shields. When it is on the ramps it is not level and the oil filter oil runs down the side of the engine and all over some electrical connectors. I am thinking about buying some more ramps so that I can get all four wheels level during the oil change. I had been using the Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 full synthetic oil but for some reason it is out of stock every where so I changed to Castrol Edge 5W30 full synthetic. I am not a proponent of synthetic oils and think they are a waste of money. However, it is such a pain to change the oil on this vehicle that I want the extended drain capabilities so that I don't have to change it as often.

Six quarts for me.