DIY Oil Change--How much oil to add?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't believe how much of a pain it is to change the oil on my 16' and I am a seasoned diesel mechanic. If you are changing oil in a "quick lube" place with a pit it would be a different story. There is a drip tray under the filter but that only catches the oil when the vehicle is level. You have to put the Expedition on ramps in order to get under it and remove the shields. When it is on the ramps it is not level and the oil filter oil runs down the side of the engine and all over some electrical connectors. I am thinking about buying some more ramps so that I can get all four wheels level during the oil change. I had been using the Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 full synthetic oil but for some reason it is out of stock every where so I changed to Castrol Edge 5W30 full synthetic. I am not a proponent of synthetic oils and think they are a waste of money. However, it is such a pain to change the oil on this vehicle that I want the extended drain capabilities so that I don't have to change it as often.

Six quarts for me.

Do you jack it up level in the front or just one side? That oil drip tray has a drain on the front and back, the back one drains right in front of the front diff. I just leave the shields off, I don't go off-road or anything. I'll probably put them back on for winter though. Oil changes in a pit are still a bit of a pain on these, definitely faster though.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
Do you jack it up level in the front or just one side? That oil drip tray has a drain on the front and back, the back one drains right in front of the front diff. I just leave the shields off, I don't go off-road or anything. I'll probably put them back on for winter though. Oil changes in a pit are still a bit of a pain on these, definitely faster though.
I drive it up on two ramps in the front. I think I'll just get get two more ramps for the back and see what happens next oil change.
My 20 yr old Durango drips oil all over the front axle and then seeps for weeks after the oil filter is changed. I wonder why Ford hasn't changed to the top mount paper filter like many other engine makers? It eliminates waste ie: no metal waste and there is no dripping. My Chrysler has the top mount. Super easy.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Never worked on a '16, but we used to fashion a "scoop," like an open funnel out of a piece of lead roof (or shower base) flashing that easily folds but holds its shape on cars that weren't designed for oil changes. Others use a plastic bag, etc. You may be able to think of a clever solution.

Brons2

Reaction score
Have had the 2015 Expy since November 2020. CARFAX indicated the selling dealer did an oil change June 2020 and 106K miles. The oil life monitor had gone to zero by June 2021 and 111K miles (12 months and 5K miles). I thought you could go 10K miles on the oil, so I suppose the algorithm takes into account time as well as miles? In preparation, I watched several YouTube videos on the oil change procedure, and noted all said the oil filter was incredibly difficult to access. Found this to be quite accurate, but slogged through it anyway acquiring several bruises on my forearms in the process. Final question: manual says 6.0 quarts to fill including a new filter, but upon checking dipstick ahead of the procedure, I noted it always read high, above the top mark. So, I only added 5.0 quarts of oil when I filled it, and even though the level is at the bottom dot on the dipstick, the oil pressure display says "OK". Wondering how "safe" it is to run with 5.0 quarts until the oil level burns down a little? Or maybe just add 0.5 quart to bring level to the middle of the two dots?

I wouldn't let the oil go 10K in these engines, a 5w30 will shear down to a 5w20 in that amount of miles. Some people use 0w40/5w40 with the Ecoboosts, I probably would if I had one and it was out of warranty. I also do used oil analysis and recommend it to others as well. Determine your maintenance regimen that way. And don't run the OLM down to 0%, be conservative. I change mine at 30% or sooner.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a drip tray under the filter but that only catches the oil when the vehicle is level. You have to put the Expedition on ramps in order to get under it and remove the shields. When it is on the ramps it is not level and the oil filter oil runs down the side of the engine and all over some electrical connectors.
I use ramps just under fronts and the oil from the filter always runs out the rear trap door hole in the shield. When it’s done steady dripping I always roll up a paper shop towel and stuff up into the plastic tray funnel hole before putting the rubber door back on. I’ve never had a drip on my garage floor underneath it. The next oil change I pull the towel out and it’s pretty saturated but has done it’s job. So I’m gonna keep on doing what gives me good results. Mine is a 2017. I’m not sure if it’s running down the front of the engine or not because I can’t see it with the shield in place from underneath. If it is running down it I’m ok with the corrosion protection it gives as long as it doesn’t wind up on my floor.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't believe how much of a pain it is to change the oil on my 16' and I am a seasoned diesel mechanic. If you are changing oil in a "quick lube" place with a pit it would be a different story. There is a drip tray under the filter but that only catches the oil when the vehicle is level. You have to put the Expedition on ramps in order to get under it and remove the shields. When it is on the ramps it is not level and the oil filter oil runs down the side of the engine and all over some electrical connectors. I am thinking about buying some more ramps so that I can get all four wheels level during the oil change. I had been using the Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 full synthetic oil but for some reason it is out of stock every where so I changed to Castrol Edge 5W30 full synthetic. I am not a proponent of synthetic oils and think they are a waste of money. However, it is such a pain to change the oil on this vehicle that I want the extended drain capabilities so that I don't have to change it as often.

Six quarts for me.
Yeah, no ****. I have 2011 and 2017 Expeditions; both have the “drip tray” under the oil filter, but with the 2017 in addition to having to remove the covering under the oil pan and open up the flaps, the filter is so difficult to get to. I have a lift and even so, at no point in the process, can you see the filter All done by feel. I even put rags and / paper towels under the filter before removing to prevent oil from spilling all over other components. This was def not thought through at all.

BTW, I use Mobil1 and change oil in both trucks between 4k and 5k miles. Walmart sells 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 for +/- $22.