DIY Windshield Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After our big Texas ice storm, my windshield cracked in multiple places and is in need of replacement. I have multiple quotes in the $500 range, but before I pull the trigger I figured wanted to sell out anyone here who has replaced one themselves. I guess the answer doesn't need to be model/year specific, but first-hand experience would be appreciated.
If you have done this:
1) did it save you enough money to be worth the effort?
2) how long did it take?
3) what was the biggest challenge?
4) on a 10 scale, how difficult was it?
5) specialty tools needed?
6) parts needed (besides the glass)?
7) in hindsight, what would you have done differently?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't do it. They make it look easy because they have the equipment and training.

Personally, that's the only thing I would not wrench on any car.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After our big Texas ice storm, my windshield cracked in multiple places and is in need of replacement. I have multiple quotes in the $500 range, but before I pull the trigger I figured wanted to sell out anyone here who has replaced one themselves. I guess the answer doesn't need to be model/year specific, but first-hand experience would be appreciated.
If you have done this:
1) did it save you enough money to be worth the effort?
2) how long did it take?
3) what was the biggest challenge?
4) on a 10 scale, how difficult was it?
5) specialty tools needed?
6) parts needed (besides the glass)?
7) in hindsight, what would you have done differently?

Thanks in advance!

I recently had the original windshield replaced in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, after it was broken by a large rock.

My insurance company sent me to a local SafeLite Auto Glass facility. I had zero-deductible glass breakage coverage.

The installer damaged the left, air inlet grille and applied excessive black sealer to the right side, causing it to ooze out onto the inside of the windshield by the A-pillar.

Without telling or asking me, they installed an aftermarket windshield (mine had the CarLite Sound Screen acoustic mat windshield).

When completed - I was given an empty warranty folder, and had to ask for a printed copy of the receipt.

My advice: Do your homework if you decide to have the windshield replaced by a glass shop. Even those that specialize in windshield replacement can do a bad job.

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here in NYC, a replacement windshield installed is $250. Are you sure you shopped around?
Yes, I'm sure I shopped around. I have 4 quotes in hand - 2 from my insurance companies' recommended shops. All are $500+ installed.
Glad to hear your market area is so much less expensive though.

OP
OP
Psychobot90

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently had the original windshield replaced in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, after it was broken by a large rock.

My insurance company sent me to a local SafeLite Auto Glass facility. I had zero-deductible glass breakage coverage.

The installer damaged the left, air inlet grille and applied excessive black sealer to the right side, causing it to ooze out onto the inside of the windshield by the A-pillar.

Without telling or asking me, they installed an aftermarket windshield (mine had the CarLite Sound Screen acoustic mat windshield).

When completed - I was given an empty warranty folder, and had to ask for a printed copy of the receipt.

My advice: Do your homework if you decide to have the windshield replaced by a glass shop. Even those that specialize in windshield replacement can do a bad job.
Good to know! SafeLite is one of the companies my insurance referred me to as well.

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure I shopped around. I have 4 quotes in hand - 2 from my insurance companies' recommended shops. All are $500+ installed.
Glad to hear your market area is so much less expensive though.

I have a good friend who owns an auto glass company. If you have the windshield that I have, which includes the automatic wiper sensor, his wholesale cost 3 years ago was right at $400. And that was an aftermarket piece, not Motorcraft. A $250 windshield must be one without that sensor, tinting at the top, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971