DLR relay location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi there,

trying to find location of a socket for the DLR relay in my 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer. All sources says that's somewhere above the glove box, under the access panel on the top of the dash. Unfortunately, here is no access panel on my dash (the pic is in attachment).

Any advices?

DSC_0911.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the passenger side fuse box diagram, the #40, 20 amp fuse is labeled daytime running light relay. You might start there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
son-of-a-door-mat
Reaction score
(sorry for necrocomment)

thanks you guys for answers.

See if you have the aux relay box 1 at the front left of the engine compartment.

I have one, under the air filter, on the left side, down below the left headlamp (on photo). It equipped with two relays and one diode. I believe this is it, except resistor.

6a013486e0a946970c0240a4f0cf01200d-pi.jpg

I've find also an unused connector, covered with a cup, on my right side. It looks like loop/resistor connector, but with no loop attached.

6a013486e0a946970c0240a51573d6200b-pi.jpg

If this is DRL place, how can it suppose to be? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That round plug is for the air suspension compressor if I remember right. Did the Expy originally have air suspension and someone converted it to standard coil spring suspension? The other picture of the junction box is supposed to be daytime running lights relays. One is an ignition relay and one is a headlight relay. Because the DRL's are not on when the headlights are on, they have to put a headlight relay in there to control that function. Do your foglights come on with the ignition ON ? Do they come on when you just turn on your foglights at the headlight switch ?

If you don't have one already you can download a copy of the Gen2 Expy Service Manual here: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/hoVVsN5P2A

Make sure you have a foglamp relay in the main fusebox too.

kM3qOI.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
son-of-a-door-mat
Reaction score
That round plug is for the air suspension compressor if I remember right. Did the Expy originally have air suspension and someone converted it to standard coil spring suspension? The other picture of the junction box is supposed to be daytime running lights relays. One is an ignition relay and one is a headlight relay. Because the DRL's are not on when the headlights are on, they have to put a headlight relay in there to control that function. Do your foglights come on with the ignition ON ? Do they come on when you just turn on your foglights at the headlight switch ?

No, my Eddie is as much stock as it possible for 2003 vehicle in 2020, so I'm sure there was no air suspension or any custom options.

No, foglights dont come on with ignition, I have to turn them on manually. And there is no foglight position while the main switch is in OFF.

And yes, I have the foglight relay :)

Thanks for the questions, and thank you for the link, I didn't have this manual before.

OP
OP
son-of-a-door-mat
Reaction score
thus, for now I can see two options:

2) may be it's possible to activate DRL via VCM-2. I don't have VCM-2 scanner right now, so

1) first, I can detach the main switch and try to put foglight on in 0 position.

If someone knows the third option, please let me know.

Hodoor-Hodoor

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Limited Edition and figured it had all the wiring for accessories not factory installed. The short answer is no it doesn't. The AUX relay box #1 is definitely where the DRL relays are located. In my expy there are no connectors inside the relay box for the relays to plug into so the DRL are not possible without significant effort. The relay box picture above doesn't include the transfer case relay section as mine does for the 4-wheel drive functions. Aux Relay Box #1 Figure.jpg DRL wiring diagram.jpg