Do I have a tow/haul mode 2020 exp limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Well I have a 2020 Exp Limited with the full tow package (not the max size) and have been towing my little 4K LB trailer for two years now with no problems.

But on my recent trip to Yellowstone I have two incidents with shifting that were ugly.

Heading up hill on both occasions I came up behind slow traffic at 55mph. When I went to change lanes and pass the slow vehicle I hit the gas and the the car failed to shift and instead had a very ugly bang noise and left me between gears with no power. I had to go back into my lane until the transmission corrected.
FYI: this was not a good sound but rather a loud gear “bang” sound. I expected to see parts on the road behind me :(

This happened again later in the exact situation : uphill, 55mph, attempting to pass.

Now that I’m home I’m having zero problems without the trailer hooked up. So I’m assuming the transmission is fine it was just confused?

In my research I see that Ford has a “tow/haul” mode? But I don’t see that option on my vehicle. Maybe it’s a gear selection I should be in here when pulling uphill?

Btw no codes were triggered.

thanks in advance for any help here!

2019 Plat Exp

Reaction score
Well I have a 2020 Exp Limited with the full tow package (not the max size) and have been towing my little 4K LB trailer for two years now with no problems.

But on my recent trip to Yellowstone I have two incidents with shifting that were ugly.

Heading up hill on both occasions I came up behind slow traffic at 55mph. When I went to change lanes and pass the slow vehicle I hit the gas and the the car failed to shift and instead had a very ugly bang noise and left me between gears with no power. I had to go back into my lane until the transmission corrected.
FYI: this was not a good sound but rather a loud gear “bang” sound. I expected to see parts on the road behind me :(

This happened again later in the exact situation : uphill, 55mph, attempting to pass.

Now that I’m home I’m having zero problems without the trailer hooked up. So I’m assuming the transmission is fine it was just confused?

In my research I see that Ford has a “tow/haul” mode? But I don’t see that option on my vehicle. Maybe it’s a gear selection I should be in here when pulling uphill?

Btw no codes were triggered.

thanks in advance for any help here!
Spin the drive mode button until you see tow mode on the dash.

Attachments

• 20210903_132143.jpg
    20210903_132143.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Thanks just found it :( What an idiot I am!

didn’t think to look there…now I need to try that mode on a hill towing.

Last edited: