Do you lock in the sale price at time of order?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankSS

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just place a custom order from a dealer which running a great promotion for ordering vehicles . It’s a 22 limit rwd with high pkg and It will be our first Expedition.

I asked my sales guy how the promotion would work and he explained that the discount will apply when I take delivery. but while we placed order with Ford, the ordering document will still have the full price etc.

The promotion is $1000 ford incentive plus $7000 dealer discount for their 50 anniversary. It‘s seems too good to be true at current environment, but with $500 refundable deposit, we won’t lose any money at the end.

This’s my first time ordering a vehicle, so is it true that this type of dealer promotion is calculated at time of delivery? They said promotion is legal and will honor it But I just don’t want to waste my time and waited months for nothing.

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just place a custom order from a dealer which running a great promotion for ordering vehicles . It’s a 22 limit rwd with high pkg and It will be our first Expedition.

I asked my sales guy how the promotion would work and he explained that the discount will apply when I take delivery. but while we placed order with Ford, the ordering document will still have the full price etc.

The promotion is $1000 ford incentive plus $7000 dealer discount for their 50 anniversary. It‘s seems too good to be true at current environment, but with $500 refundable deposit, we won’t lose any money at the end.

This’s my first time ordering a vehicle, so is it true that this type of dealer promotion is calculated at time of delivery? They said promotion is legal and will honor it But I just don’t want to waste my time and waited months for nothing.
As long as you have it in writing, you are good to go. Otherwise, it;s just your word vs the sales person who took your order.

Bill

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Unless you signed a purchase (new vehicles sales) contract - you have no way of enforcing the price that you believe you will have to pay.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of the time a customer signs a purchase contract (which also needs to be signed by an authorized dealership manager/executive to be valid) for a specific amount of money, and further specifies whether a down payment is made and how much. It should include sales tax and dealer doc. fees. Current manufacturers incentives are iffy--generally customers are locked into what is in effect at the time of delivery and can be supplemented by a Private Cash Offer or increased manufacturer's incentive. In other words, you can end up paying less, but not more. Then, if you have a trade-in, your present vehicle's trade in value will not be calculated up front and will result in another round of negotiations when you take delivery so it is incumbent upon you to do your homework as far as what your vehicle would bring with a private party or other car dealer (CarMax etc.). It is a complicated process, but there are lots of YouTube videos and such out there for information.