Does anyone use the door code instead of key to access vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Having an access code is a neat feature, but I am trying to find a good use case for it. If I ever need something from the car quickly, I just grab my key which is usually on me or near me. If my wife needs something, she tells me to grab it!

Am I missing something about these door access codes that makes them better than using a key? I married into a family of loyal Ford buyers, and I don't know anyone who uses it

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use it quite often! I love it. actually, I used to think it looked kind of janky back in the day but now that I have my first car with it, I like the feature. for me its especially handy when I just need to run into the garage and either get something out of the car or put something in. So nice not to have to search for keys every time.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford has had the door keypad forever. My 2001 Excursion had one. I don't know why other mfg's don't have it too (Ford patent maybe?). It's an awesome feature!! I use it all the time. Don't need to grab the key if all I want to do is get something out of the vehicle. And as others have said, you can lock your key in the veh so you don't have to carry it with you.

I have multiple Ford vehicles and a neat thing you can do is make the keypad codes the same for each.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does Ford prevent theft of the vehicle? I have not used the key pad.
If they key is in the car and a window is smashed to steal something from inside could the thief drive off then with the car?

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use it too, when backcountry camping or canoeing, because I don't need the headache of losing my keys that far from help! I put the fob in a "RF-proof" thing I found on Amazon, and hide it in the vehicle, so unless they tear it apart they won't be able to drive anywhere. Definitely a good idea to ensure it isn't available to thieves...

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use it occasionally. Not so much that I'd miss it, but it's a great convenience feature. My spouse has used it to put shopping in the car when I'm elsewhere.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use it too, when backcountry camping or canoeing, because I don't need the headache of losing my keys that far from help! I put the fob in a "RF-proof" thing I found on Amazon, and hide it in the vehicle, so unless they tear it apart they won't be able to drive anywhere. Definitely a good idea to ensure it isn't available to thieves...
I keep tin foil in the car for my RF-proof container.

doubleeagle45

Reaction score
Having an access code is a neat feature, but I am trying to find a good use case for it. If I ever need something from the car quickly, I just grab my key which is usually on me or near me. If my wife needs something, she tells me to grab it!

Am I missing something about these door access codes that makes them better than using a key? I married into a family of loyal Ford buyers, and I don't know anyone who uses it
Not better than a key, no. But convenient as all heck for multiple people in the household to be able to get in and out of the vehicle without physically having a key fob with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360