Does anyone use the door code instead of key to access vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Hook

Reaction score
I use mine all the time for the same reasons above; that quick trip to retrieve something or put something in without having to go into the house for the keys. Have it on my '98 Lincoln LSC too. Very handy. Not sure I would leave the car running though. Too much temptation for thieves these days.

giraffenut

Reaction score
I bought my 2003 Ford Expedition new and selected it off the Dealers lot (i.e. I didn’t order it). I recall seeing the keypad and turning to my wife and saying “I like the one we picked out, but I am afraid we just paid for a feature / option that we’ll never use”. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

We have been football season ticket holders for the past 20 years and love that we can lock the keys in the car when at games. Because the Expedition can accommodate so many passengers, we use it for every home game and always offer rides to our friends and fellow season ticket holders. Just because we ride together doesn’t mean we sat together. So, you have people in your party all over the stadium - hot weather, cold weather, rain, etc. We give everyone the code and they let themselves in whenever they get back to the car.

We’re on a trip as we speak and the Expedition is parked at our home airport with the keys locked up in it so we don’t have to worry about keeping up with them on our trip.

So, for us, I initially didn’t think I would ever use it. Now, we have become so accustomed to it, that I will look for it on my next vehicle.

giraffenut

Reaction score
I use mine all the time for the same reasons above; that quick trip to retrieve something or put something in without having to go into the house for the keys. Have it on my '98 Lincoln LSC too. Very handy. Not sure I would leave the car running though. Too much temptation for thieves these days.
When I try to leave key in the car and leave after locking, it honks at me and unlocks. How do you keep it from doing that?

giraffenut

Reaction score
I use it too, when backcountry camping or canoeing, because I don't need the headache of losing my keys that far from help! I put the fob in a "RF-proof" thing I found on Amazon, and hide it in the vehicle, so unless they tear it apart they won't be able to drive anywhere. Definitely a good idea to ensure it isn't available to thieves...
What RFID proof holder do you use from Amazon?

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the door codes every time, since at any time there can be someone with a code grabber nearby. I use it to unlock, and also to lock all doors when I exit. I also installed my own code, rather than use the default code installed. I would never buy a vehicle without access keys on the door. For those that lock the key inside and leave it running, even if the door is locked, many insurance companies would consider that "owner assisted theft" and you may have a very hard time getting paid if your vehicle is stolen. Replacing a shattered window is a very cheap repair for a car thief.

airbrush

Reaction score
I have for many years (think decades) left my key in the center console and used the keypad for entry and lock. Works well for me.

WCGator

Reaction score
Having an access code is a neat feature, but I am trying to find a good use case for it. If I ever need something from the car quickly, I just grab my key which is usually on me or near me. If my wife needs something, she tells me to grab it!

Am I missing something about these door access codes that makes them better than using a key? I married into a family of loyal Ford buyers, and I don't know anyone who uses it

The Cruise Guy

Reaction score
Coded door is one of the best options to get. We have bought 2 vehicles new. And waited until bought 2004 Eddy Baur to find this out the hard way. I do remember them in late 60's, Make acces any time w/o keys. Saves lots of time once you get used to having it. And ours is very fast to unlock as some of the buttons you can hit twice if you program it that way.
Last month I left my 2000 F250 truck key at our cabin. So down one key. And no coded lock. And during that time I pulled into my driveway and locked door by hand and not thinking closed the door with the engine still running. Ouch! Had to call tow truck and wait for it for him to "Jimmy" the door. Cost $100 and all the gas while engine idling.

Jttama

Reaction score
I use it all the time. Whenever I leave the car I use it to lock everything since my key is already in my pocket. When I go to the gym, I leave my key in the card and use the keypad to get back into the car. In the winter when it's freezing, I don't turn the car off if I go into a store so I use the keypad then. I love it. I think it was a great idea.