Don't buy a new gear shift knock, just paint it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max Fernandez

Reaction score
Hi folks, hope you are doing well.

I've been dealing for a while with my Expedition 2007 Eddie Bauer Gear Shifter beign scratched on the top side of the chrome... paint has faded and it look horrible. I was looking to buy a new one but it was aroun USD 75$ plus shipping.

I finally took the risk of painting the faded plastic part using a metallic Rust Oleum spray can and what a result. I could not be happier and saved a lot of money. I sanded the area and painted without primer and it sticked very well. Just be caucious to mask everything really well as you will be painting inside of your car. I used a black plastic bag big enough to cover a wide area and used tape to have all in place.

See the pictures attached and let me know what you think.

Be well.

MaxRust-Oleum-Specialty-Metallic-Silver-Spray-Paint.jpg Shift.jpeg Shift1.jpeg Shift2.jpeg Shift3.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it spray smooth coat like regular paint? I’m trying to respray the silver upper console side panels. I bought a can of metal spray that looked close to original color. It sprayed out like a gooey powder. Sprayed one panel and the whole garage is sparkling with glitter. I had to wet sand the plastic back smooth again.

OP
OP
Max Fernandez

Max Fernandez

Reaction score
Does it spray smooth coat like regular paint? I’m trying to respray the silver upper console side panels. I bought a can of metal spray that looked close to original color. It sprayed out like a gooey powder. Sprayed one panel and the whole garage is sparkling with glitter. I had to wet sand the plastic back smooth again.
I think it will depend on the paint you use. Mine was fine, I did several coats (Like 4) and waited an hour every time I applied. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01