Don't spray your engine with water!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cooper

Reaction score
I clean my 2003 expy 5.4 every other month. While the engine is hot and running i spray her down. However I don't clean spark plugs I change them out. Have done with ever vehicle I ever owned mostly to see leaks as soon as they start.

Never had an issue but, don't spray vacuum lines, coils and spark plug boots.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yours is the 2nd year with the sequential blinking tail lights correct?

Correct. T-Birds had this as standard equipment starting in ’65 and ending with the ’68 model. When they worked as advertised, they were very cool. They were a PITA to troubleshoot though. Here's why:
The basic components of the T-Bird sequential turn signal and stoplight circuits were:
1. the turn signal switch, mounted on the steering column;
2. the turn signal indicator relay, mounted on the steering column support bracket;
3. the stoplight switch, mounted on the brake pedal support, and
4. the turn signal relay, stoplight relay and turn signal flasher and motor assembly which were wrapped in soundproof insulation and mounted in the trunk behind the left fender trim panel and the spare tire.
This flasher/motor assembly consisted of an electric motor, three cams on a shaft and three sets of contact points. The three cams are staggered, and each set of contacts is connected to one of the three rear light bulbs through the turn signal relay.

On mine, the sequentials worked for a while, but I eventually had to replace the flasher/motor assembly in the trunk. I ended up replacing all the stuff listed in #4 above with a solid-state aftermarket unit. Unless the car is flooded, that section at least should never fail.

Personal note: there is no doubt in my mind that that the wizkids at Dearborn hired Rube Goldberg to install this into the mid-sixties T-Birds. Same comment applies to the A/C and heater system.

As I read many of the things that go wrong on our Expeditions, it seems that Mr. Goldberg is still employed at Ford.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always loved that feature, along with the Mustangs/Cougars of 68/69 that had that.

Moose, the following is a quote from Alan Tast (“Mr. T-Bird”) from his book, Thunderbird Fifty Years:

“(The 1965 T-Bird’s) taillights were so well done that two years later, Ford stylists in conjunction with Shelby American would adapt them for use on the GT350s and GT500s, as well on such Mustang classics as the California and High Country Specials for 1968.”

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its probably ole Rubes son or grandson. With that many parts to go wrong, no wonder Ford gave up in 1970. They keep trying with innovative ideas. Anyone here remember the retractable roof on the 1957 Skyliner Fairlane. My friend Nick had one back in the late 70's. But it never really took off. I think Ford ended it in 59. On the new Mustangs that have the sequential turn signals, at least they don't have contact points to burn up like on your 66.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone here remember the retractable roof on the 1957 Skyliner Fairlane.
My next-door-neighbor had one. When I would hear his car starting up, I'd run to the front window of our house to watch and see if he was going to be retracting the Skyliner's roof. Since it was in SF, he rarely did (unless it was 'Indian Summer' - Sept/Oct - in SF!).

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Additionally, a lot of the technology for the Skyliner convertible operation was refined and went into the '58-'66 T-Birds and the Sixties' Continental.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd forgotten you used to be a Fog City boy like me. Did Ford or Lincoln use a retractable roof? I don't remember that. Mercedes does these days.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did Ford or Lincoln use a retractable roof?

Ford used the Skyliner hardtop technology (the mechanisms that pivoted the roof into the trunk) later on the T-Bird's and Continental's softtop/canvas roofs.
That said, there were several Mustang prototypes that used the Skyliner hardtop concept. One sold recently in the Midwest a year or two ago, with no rear windows. I'll check for a link and fwd if I find it.

Last edited:

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And my apologies to drokmofo, for taking this thread way off line from his original post of engine cleaning. I got in my former T-Bird mode, so I couldn't help it!
That said, here's a close-up photo of my T-bird 'Liz's' engine compartment. Maybe the photo will get us back on track to what ALL of our engine compartments should look like. Well, it's a goal anyway!

upload_2019-5-23_17-26-52.jpeg