Door sensor data error- VSM issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Update: Hello again to anyone following. First, my original issue has not been resolved- the cause of the on dash displays “Door Sensor Data Error, etc”, plus loss of power door locks, keyfob operations, etc.

Ok. Now that I’ve said that, the issue has disappeared. I never resolved it, nor discovered a cause yet. 3 days ago, I was doing errands while home from the road. One stop, I went into a building for all of 5 minutes tops. Came out, and out of complete autonomous habit hit the unlock on the fob as I approached the truck. It clicked.

It took a second or three to process what happened. It hasn’t worked in weeks now, but all of a sudden everything is functioning normally. I haven’t had a chance to get into it with ForScan, as I just got setup with it right before everything came back online.

Since it’s all working properly at the moment, I may not have much luck diagnosing the root cause, but I’m still gonna try. That will be this weekends project.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Another quick update, since it’s been a while since I visited here.

I got ForScan setup, got the correct ODB/usb for it, and went through my truck. Indeed, it seems that the low battery WAS the cause of my loss of some functions related to the VSM/BSM. ForScan actually gave me that exact result- (paraphrased- “ low battery or low voltage detected”).

I was also able to find out my keyless entry code, plus another symptom diagnosis of what I knew was going to happen eventually- a failing VVT solenoid on bank 1. I’d already replaced bank 2 but I had to use much more primitive means to get to that diagnosis, and it was really bad by that time.

I’m no mechanic, but when $ is tight, ya buckle up and dive in. Thanks to all in the forum for helping steer me in the right direction.

Stale Overby

Reaction score
Hello,all

I'm a garage mechanic from Norway that had the same issues with my 04.

The symptoms I’m having- no dome lights upon door opening, no radio shutdown, no locking or unlocking with Remote or using the door switches.

This regards ALL doors and window hatch at the same time so it had to be a central problem.

All lead to the VSM module from what I could understand allthough it was something weird about it.

My door ajar signal on the dash worked fine, and every now and then dome lights worked aswell.

I checked the wiring schematics and as far as I understood, it could not be bad ground for the VSM, as it had a common ground-point with other functions that worked.

However, I checked it anyway, and it was good.

I checked all fuses regarding VSM, good. (Fuse F3,F5,F6,F30,F40 and F109)

(if you find that none of the fuses are burnt out ,,,,then try this ,,,,disconect the battery negative cable and touch the negative battery cable to the positive battery cable to get rid of all back up voltage and then put the cables back into place ,,,see if this wakes up the moduale and things start to work again)

For me, that didn't help.

I found an overwiev of the contacts on the VSM and started measuring inputs and outputs, and all seemed to be ok, AND THEN when I was measuring with a multimeter, it all started working again (door locks, as that was my main troubleshoot, but all the other things too.)??

I finally understood the problem.

When I pushed the wiring to the contact(grey contact, as it had the in/out function for my issues) it worked, when I let go, it stopped working.

No wiring was bad or damaged on the VSM, so I pulled out each and every pins and repaired the spring plate function inside the pin. (push something small inside from the wiring ide towards the end to lift the spring plate)

When I put the contact back, it all worked again, all function.

I have however no idea why these springplates inside the pins should get week, as it has, as far as I know, never been taken in or out or moved.

Anyway, my problem is solved,and I hope my discovery can help many others.

It may not solve the battery drainage for you, but maybe the VSM issue:)

Grey VSM contact_lock.gif

VSM green contact_lock2.gif

VSM green contact_lock2.gif

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Stale, you’re a genius! That actually might have been my problem on the VSM as well. But According to my FORScan readings, it was low voltage. As I mentioned above, my battery did give up soon after I started this thread. After it was replaced, it took a few days but everything came back as it was supposed to.

I’m keeping your reply at hand in case it should pop up again. That way I have a good map of where to go. Thanks for the info!!

Stale Overby

Reaction score
Hi, Ozzy.
When I put in my diagnostic device to check what actually is happening inside the VSM,, (before I knew what the fault was) I saw that it deviated between 6 volt an 9 volt. This is too low to operate the lock/unlock system. However, I didn't know if it was lack of voltage or ground.
Neither was the problem, but of course, have to be checked.
When I now know what was the problem, it is kind of natural that the springed pins become weaker through the years as it constantly get hot/cold. Metal tends to get so.
It is not what the first you think of so it wasn't the first I checked either

playerkp420

Reaction score
I had the same issues on my 03 Expy.

I fixed the issue by replacing some wires in the step panel under drivers door. I think it was a purple wire that fixed it. Can't remember for sure, because I replaced more than one. But got everything working again like that. Mine was auto headlights, power door locks, parking aid, and radio would stay on after key was out and door was open.

As for the battery going dead, a door always ajar will cause that.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I had the same issues on my 03 Expy.

I fixed the issue by replacing some wires in the step panel under drivers door. I think it was a purple wire that fixed it. Can't remember for sure, because I replaced more than one. But got everything working again like that. Mine was auto headlights, power door locks, parking aid, and radio would stay on after key was out and door was open.

As for the battery going dead, a door always ajar will cause that.

Yeh player, sounds like you had same issues. I’ll watch for that if it ever happens again. My battery issue was indeed a battery going south. It just held on a lot longer than any other I’ve had. I guess there’s something to say for Interstate Batteries.

The VSM corrected itself after the new battery, and FORScan indicated that low voltage was a problem at the VSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stale Overby

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that earlier, but my radio didn't shut off either when opening the door. Anyway it fixed itself due to the contact fix

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Just a follow up. My issue returned a few weeks ago, a day or so after a hard rain. I checked the driver door foot panel first, as that has been mentioned a lot. No found issues.

Then I checked the passenger side foot panel. It was literally full of water. I found a drain plug and removed it to allow the water to escape. After that, I found two wires - both red with white tracers- that were corroded as all hell in their splices. One had been spliced 3 places within 1 foot. They were both spliced together near the back of the passenger seat and it was corroded as well.

As a temporary fix, I used wire I had (alarm wire) and crimp connectors to fix it as I was out of state away from my garage full of wire and tools. That immediately fixed the issue.

I’ve since replaced that fix with a permanent fix, using 16g wire and proper soldered and heat shrinked connections.

One of the wires I replaced had been repaired at least 3 times, as evidenced by the heat shrink on it.

So there it is. Hope it helps someone else.

917e2c5653b1e4a55530d57e97b86e22.jpg
216bc89f84798f31126f625fe6be8d8a.jpg
afc180c0a66db412a04db446c15b93e4.jpg
4db861055c647272a7deda84d0417e52.jpg
c41c2f30a976c08b8fe922a6aa3a9e06.jpg
d1dc20f77c5c3673563d317891a48468.jpg
2cdb3eb2016339fb7d82c5d05511e310.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads