Double-din in 1st gen, modifications required.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excuse me if someone has already posted this, but I could not find it when searching. I decided on a double-din headunit(Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD) after help from you guys. I searched and was able to find that modifications were required for a double-din headunit, but not much more information/pictures so I'm passing this along to others.

Without knowing the exact modifications needed, we went with the trial&error method, but having to do it again, I'd recommend the following.

I used this: Amazon.com: Metra 95-5818 Double Din Dash Kit for Select 1997-2003 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Vehicles: Car Electronics

1: Remove dash pieces: the stereo cover & vents piece, the top piece of the dash which requires several small pieces to be removed, and eventually the black frame that holds the radio as this piece must be modified.
attachment.php

2: This picture shows the area of the black frame that needs to be modified. Fit your headunit in, sharpie it, and cut away. Remember that's better to not cut enough than too much--you can always cut more, be careful, you want this piece pretty snug to your headunit.

The circled metal piece--throw it away, it has sharp edges, don't get cut.

The plastic piece the arrow is pointing to has to be modified, further detail to follow.
attachment.php

3: We chose to remove the black frame for modification as mentioned above, but to cut the additional plastic piece without removing it--im not even sure it is removable.

attachment.php

The removed piece:
attachment.php

4: Reassemble & enjoy:
attachment.php

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good job. looks nice. but this makes me so glad that i already had an aftermarket radio installed before i installed this one. i just had to clip wires off old harness and attach the new harness, and do the ebrake bypass. never took dash apart. just pulled the center stack plastic back enough to get my hands in.

btw enjoy the radio. its been good to me so far

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job. I'm glad I had a second gen then. No modifications needed at all.

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good job. looks nice. but this makes me so glad that i already had an aftermarket radio installed before i installed this one. i just had to clip wires off old harness and attach the new harness, and do the ebrake bypass. never took dash apart. just pulled the center stack plastic back enough to get my hands in.

btw enjoy the radio. its been good to me so far

Getting the dash apart is actually suprisingly friendly on expeditions, it isn't bad at all. I just got the resistor off of ebay to do the e-brake bypass in the mail today. I'm going to install a backup camera & run RCA's when I do the resistor.

I love the headunit so far, sounds amazing for having the crappy stock speakers.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had that radio for a couple months now and love it. For $200 you can't beat it with a stick. With such a cheap radio it left money for other goodies.

Victor

clinchfield33

Reaction score
wiring

Swagga,

Can you tell me what wiring harness you used? What modifications were required for the wiring?
ALso, what are you guys talking about when you mention an ebrake bypass? I am going to try this on my own and do not want to screw things up..

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Swagga,

Can you tell me what wiring harness you used? What modifications were required for the wiring?
ALso, what are you guys talking about when you mention an ebrake bypass? I am going to try this on my own and do not want to screw things up..

I ordered from crutchfield and used the harness they sent. I believe it was a scosche... it has the adjustments to alter output to sound better with the factory amp. As far as wiring modifications... nothing special, just the normal stereo install of wiring the adapter/harness.

For the ebrake bypass, I bought a resistor off of ebay for $9. If you search "ebrake bypass" you'll find a ton, otherwise you have to wire it up to the ebrake, which I didn't even investigate how to do as I knew I'd be buying the resistor.