Double din radio???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigman3889

Reaction score
So the radio on the 2001 Expy along with the others probably is a double din...correct? now why is it i see no body with a double din aftermarket radio in and why is it one place i went to told me i cant put a double din moniter in and if i wanted to they would have to "chop the shit outta the console"

wchain

Reaction score
Its more like a din and a half. With some minor trimming, you can get a double in though. Depends on how adventurous you are!

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what the deal is with the 2001's. However I recently replaced the factory one in my 2003 with a pioneer I purchased from cruthfield. While I was looking I did see that they had a few double din sizes that would fit my 03. Out of preference, I went with one where I had to use an adapter bracket. I did this because I wanted a map pocket over the radio once I got it installed. From what I could see the double din size did not give me any extra benifits. Crutchfield was a pretty good deal all the way around. They include everything you need to install the radio including directions, radio bracket, wire harness, and 24 hour support. I also installed new 3-way speakers all the way around. The new radio and speakers are 100 times better than the factory ones.

dubedition2003

Reaction score
The reason why some double din radios won't fit is because when then radio is put in it is pushed all the way to the back to stay secure, that leaves the 1 or 1 1/2 inch of dash in front of the radio. With this piece of dash sitting there when the monitor opens up, the dash is in the way. Therefore you need to find a bracket and line up the radio all the way to the front of the dash making it flush. This will aslo make it harder for it to come out. If you are looking to sell your car and taking the radio out that maybe hard to do.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Kenwood DPX701 with the HD tuner opton in mine. Love It.... the Double Din Mounting Kit really makes it look nice inthe dash. Just lookup in Crutchfield what will fit yours. They are pretty good with the fitment guide....
Matt R

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
I too am curious, I removed the factory head unit to check out the opening a while back and ford has this Double Din to Din 1/2 bracket that slopes. The headunit itself in the my 2000 Exp isn't a full size headunit from front to back. It's full size for the bottom half prob for the tape deck and then tappers off and goes longer towards the top, I may have that reversed. My question is if anyone would know or point me in the right direction. Would the new Pioneer AVIC D3 fit? It's one of very few Headunits that will play a an MP3 encoded DVD, not just CD. Any help would be great.

2000 Black Expo
4.6L XLT
Bone Stock(For Now)

GTR-34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dusty :D

so, a double din radio should fit my 2004 expedition but I need to be carefull!?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
double din doesn't give extra benefits...it just fills the space better...single din would require a bracket kit that would have fill the void...that is all...the only difference...they came out with flip out screens...to eliminate the flip out screen they made the DDIN...

FishNet5

Reaction score
I have found out that not all double din sizes are exactly the same. In my '06, the new 2DIN stereo doesn't fit all the way in the dash opening, it is narrower than the factory one and is taller too. (the dash trim tapers in). I have to mount it "out" almost an inch to make it fit the height and add filler on the sides to make the width fit (and not have a gap). It is more than a little annoying, but It's a good thing they make kits for this.

josephseed

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was thinking about buying the Kenwood DDX9703S head unit for my supercar.
Does anyone own this model and if yes is it worth the price? Does it work good?
It's the best (rated) Kenwood on amazon with mostly positive reviews.
There's a legal notice which always pops up after you start it according to this page, but other then that I really like how it looks and it has all the features I need.
Should I go for it or are there better options out there.
Thanks