Drastic drops/returns of oil pressure (5.4L 3v 2009)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proftomda

Reaction score
First off the oil pressure gauge indicates normal mid range at 7 psi so it’s pretty much useless as a indicator of good oil pressure. May want to look into mechanical gauge hook up to verify your concern.

My guess is at 190,000 miles, your timing chain guides have started to break apart and fall into your oil pan and partially clogging oil pickup tube.

I personally would replace the oil pressure sending unit because so cheap. If problem persists with new sensor, I would then look into a complete Timing job or engine replacement.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full Timing job and pull the oil pan and clean it out. But before you do that. Pull one of the cam bearings off and make sure it’s good. Also what oil filter do you use. I’ve had more ecoguard filters clog up in 2-3 k miles. They are junk. Stick with OEM, Mann or Hengst. My 05 I run with 5-w30. It has 195k miles or so. My wife’s 2010 I use 5-20. But it only has 145k.