Drawer build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okgearhead

Reaction score
has anyone else built a drawer storage unit for their Expedition ? I just finished mine, I built mine for road trips that we love to take ! Two drawers and a lift up door on the front, and I have two dog crates that strap on top, and still have plenty of room for everything else we need to take.

6218AAE6-B071-4995-8549-FD69AEDD5B62.jpeg

757A8FE8-27E3-4C21-9F3F-796B1255D1E0.jpeg

6D60C315-7508-43EC-AB0F-B536DF6686B5.jpeg

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have children that have to go in the back. As much as I would like to put them in dog crates I probably shouldn't. So no I personally haven't built one of these nor have I ever seen or heard of anyone else having something like this. While I applaud your out of the box thinking and ability to build something like this I have to ask the question. Why? Looks to me like you've given up a lot of cargo space for items that could easily be stored in a couple of tool bags.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Behind my third row is the annex. Never open the rear hatch to my truck because tool bags are piled to the window. I think it's a cool concept.

Plati

Reaction score
I gutted the entire rear floor (except for the jump seat) & built a platform (oak & plywood) thoroughly bolted to floor using OEM bolt holes. Plenty of (hidden from view) storage under .. my custom Expedition camping & travelling vehicle ... not a family transport.
I studied a lot of these drawer systems prior, this is best in my app ... YMMV. My stuff is stored inside with removable covers, no drawers. Several compartments incl. secure areas.

I also designed an addition for the side. Works well, easy to transport & setup, sheds rain - blocks sun - withstands wind. Camping in Grizz country, keep food and sleep inside!
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
I think lots of people might want to use this Tarp design. Minimal amount of space to carry and low cost. I used a Noah's tarp ($60) and 2 Kelty adjustable poles ($60) .. a little paracord and stakes. The poles fold up and it takes up almost no space to carry around. The Noah tarp is catenary cut so you can make it "taught", hence the rain shedding performance you cannot obtain with a square tarp. It took me about 40 hours and 5 prototypes to perfect this! You can lash the far corner to roof rack or a tree. If you fasten it to a tree you can actually drive in & out at will, which is handy. Nice for camping or a day event where you just want some shade or rain cover. I originally realized I needed this when travelling through remote area of Colorado in July ... if my beater BLACK Expy broke down I had no shade and I felt like I could have died from sun and heat exposure.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys with Expedition (not the truck name) truck builds do this routinely. It’s a thing. And it makes perfect sense for some Owners. I have an EL because I need the seats so this doesn’t apply to me, but someday when it’s just my wife and I and we want a “camper” type setup we’d do a drawer build. I think ARB even makes them for some trucks. I know they did for the land cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Okgearhead

Okgearhead

Reaction score
I’ll never use the 3rd seat, we like to go on road trips, the main reason I built it was I can get to anything I’ve got stored in it when the dog crates are on top of it , instead of unloading everything to get to the under the floor storage area. And I can store more in it than the factory storage. It works for me !

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gutted the entire rear floor (except for the jump seat) & built a platform (oak & plywood) thoroughly bolted to floor using OEM bolt holes. Plenty of (hidden from view) storage under .. my custom Expedition camping & travelling vehicle ... not a family transport.
I studied a lot of these drawer systems prior, this is best in my app ... YMMV. My stuff is stored inside with removable covers, no drawers. Several compartments incl. secure areas.

I also designed an addition for the side. Works well, easy to transport & setup, sheds rain - blocks sun - withstands wind. Camping in Grizz country, keep food and sleep inside!
View attachment 24116
View attachment 24117

When did this name change occur? ;)I liked Polarizer, twas a good name. Then again MrSticker suits you well.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
When did this occur? I liked Polarizer, twas a good name.
Yeah. It was good.
Guys with Expedition (not the truck name) truck builds do this routinely. It’s a thing. And it makes perfect sense for some Owners. I have an EL because I need the seats so this doesn’t apply to me, but someday when it’s just my wife and I and we want a “camper” type setup we’d do a drawer build. I think ARB even makes them for some trucks. I know they did for the land cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro