Dreaded Chip Hold - 22 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did chip hold last just that week or did it go longer? mine just got a date assigned to its in production status (8/22) but now dealer told me status is "sent offsite" which from what I am seeing means chip or some other part hold. trying to figure out if these holds are still as bad now in AUG 2022 as they were earlier in the year or if they have made progress on catching up on holds better now

Alex
Oh, it went longer. I received my truck July 20th.

CGalex

Reaction score
I am in the same position as you. Marketing tells me the same, my dealership tells me the same. I can also tell you, I have tracked many Expeditions that were produced earlier this month, that were dealer orders, that we built, completed, and have already shipped, while a ton sit offsite. They are now scheduling a bunch of new customer orders to be built next week as well. Dealerships are making their money right now on used vehicles. Also, dealerships do not make the majority of their money from the sale of cars. They make their money on service, parts, and accessories. Plus, if you had to leave a deposit, whish I did of $1,000, that is probably all the dealership is making off the vehicle, which is why they don't care when it comes in, because they already got their money. Think about it, if they sell 100 cars to preorder, they just made themselves $100K. My dealership told me from the beginning, that if I back out, I don't get my deposit back until they were to sell the vehicle to someone else. Which means they have already deposited that check and moved on. Doesn't seem there is anyone you can speak to either to try and get better answers either. At this point, patience is the name of the game. There are thousands of Expeditions sitting offsite, so we are not the only ones dealing with this. I just think its wrong that they will leave those offsite, and manufacture new ones and send those out, without completing what is just sitting there, but that's just me.
its absolutely ridiculous that they park 10, 15, 20 thousand cars waiting on parts but don't stop making incomplete and unusable/unsalable product. also they need to update customers with details on what part/chip is keeping car from being finished. I get that supply of parts and supply chain is nuts now. but that should be what the long lead time from order placed to order scheduled for production should be used for, getting parts batched for your order. I ordered in MAR and they waited 90 days to schedule it for production (8/8) then another 60+ days to actually put it in production on 8/22 only to say, "whoops our bad, even though we already determined certain things had to come off your order because we knew we would not have the parts for those features, we also couldn't get parts in 180 days from order to now for things we cant remove from order but we went ahead and 95% built it anyways to sit in a graveyard. Oh and by the way, the part we need for yours will come next week but we will go ahead and use that part for someone else's car on the assembly line so that we can 95% build that car too and park it next to yours since that car will be short a different part next week" and the cycle repeats

Alex