Drive Modes vs CCD Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jigstick

Reaction score
Im a little confused regarding these two systems on my 2018 Expy Max Limited. I have the 301A trim package. Im in the process of replacing all the garbage factory struts at 47k. I was about to order some Bilstein 5100s when I noticed those shocks dont work on vehicles equipped with CCD. I believe CCD requires the 302A package.

The factory struts on my vehicle look like normal struts. theres no wiring / sensors built into them. Im certain my truck does not have CCD. WHich leads to my question.

What exactly does changing the drive mode do in my truck outside of adjusting engine performance? Obviously switching from "Normal" to "Rain" or "Gravel" isnt adjusting my suspension at all. Is this correct?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct, with no CCD you just get trans programing changes and maybe traction control stuff.

The CCD rides super soft in Eco, normal in normal, and stiff in Sport mode. Its kinda nice to sway it on varying roads.

OP
OP
Jigstick

Jigstick

Reaction score
gotcha. These Bilstein shocks arent compatible with CCD. Just making sure that my vehicle doesnt have it. And now I have a better understanding of what my drive modes do.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It also cha ges your steering ratio, speed and heft.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct that 301A doesn't have CCD. The 302A package comes with CCD and the 22" wheels.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's add and correct a few things.

The expedition DOES NOT have adaptive steering(Ratio is variable depending on mode/speed). Lock to Lock is always the same. It will change the boost given to the steering depending on mode, but the ratio does not change.

CCD also changes in the other modes. In the off pavement modes the shocks are softened a bit. In Tow, the fronts are set at normal, but the rears, the compression dampening is increased, to decrease trailer bounce.

As for modes for non-CCD. ALL MODES have the exact same Engine power available. The difference is when, and how aggressively that power is used. Basic breakdown:

Tow - Throttle response is decreased(Not as much as Eco), and traction control is fairly aggressive about preventing wheel spin. The Trans will skip less gears, and it will be more aggressive about grade shifting. It will also downshift more while stopping than Normal will. I haven't looked at the tuning, but the steering feels basically the same as Normal. If switching to this mode from Sport/Snow/Off Road Modes, will put you back in 2Hi.

Eco - VERY diminished throttle response unless you go WOT. Aggressive about skip shifting to keep revs low, and trying to get to 9/10 as quickly as possible. Softer shifting in general. Basically trying to get you to drive like Grandma! Steering is lighter than normal. If switching to this mode from Sport/Snow/Off Road Modes, will put you back in 2Hi.

Normal - The middle...everything else is relative to this. If switching to this mode from Sport/Snow/Off Road Modes, will put you back in 2Hi.

Sport - Increased Throttle response. Increased shift pressure. Holds gears longer. Switches to 4A if equipped for increased grip. Steering weight is higher.

Off Road Modes - Generally less steering weight, and less throttle response. Depending on mode TC, and AdvanceTrac are turned off.

Hope that helps a bit.