Drivers side window slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willymutt

Reaction score
On our 2011, the drivers side window is really slow going up and down. It is an EL Limited. It isn't all the time but another item is that when it is slow, the drivers folding mirror doesn't work either. When it is normal speed, the mirror works. It is only on the drivers side though.

Any ideas? My wife is becoming increasing frustrated with this vehicle and I would like to get it figured out so she relaxes and I don't have to buy something else.

malimal

Reaction score
yeah mine is slow as well. 2010 expy..It also goes down when i press up sometimes...i assume it probably needs a new motor or something.

PrepVet

Reaction score
If you like the car I would hope it wouldn't be gotten rid of over something as trivial as a power window motor...

That said I would pull the door card and replace the power window motor, while you are in there you can see if there is anything a miss with the mirror motor as well. The connections may just need to be cleaned and tightened.

Splinter80

Reaction score
My2011 had the same issue of slow window but only in cold weather. Dealer finally replaced the motor regulator and it is fine

lxrick

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Cold weather increases the Problem.
The cause is well known and to find in the steel cables and mechanic of the window, not the motor itself!
Over time the cables are splicing slowly and everything gets stiffer. In addition the Window glass is not moving straight up and down but slightly twisted.

You can see the part here: http://www.rockauto.com/de/moreinfo.php?pk=2721720&cc=3015229&jsn=528&jsn=528

With 80$ not really expensive and 1-2 hrs easy work.

And NO, don´t use the original much more expensive Ford motorcraft Part...cause this is the part you have trouble with ;)

Greets
Alex from Germany...

simslax

Reaction score
Same for my 2011 XL --worse in very cold weather. Have not replaced motor regulator yet.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, its the window regulator. Very easy fix, Dorman part about $90.00 on Amazon. Some cheaper on ebay but not sure of the brand, would probably stay away from them. Ford OEM about 266.00. I replaced the passenger side front window regulator on my kids 2010 XLT a couple weeks ago, about an hour of time needed. Get on line and watch Brian, he does the fordtechmakuloco videos and is excellent on all Ford repairs.
Once the window regulator is replaced the window will drive up and down fast, hot or cold. If it don't then replace the drive motor, more often its the regulator.
The mirror is likely connections or motor. Check and clean the connections as suggested above when door cover is off. Check at motor and at switch. I like to use a little dab of silicon grease on electrical fittings, seems to make better contact.
Good luck

nightflt

Reaction score
This issue is happening on my 07 as well as my wifes 2012 Taurus. On item we noticed is that when it rains the window seals have shrunk and is letting rain water in. The door slosh's with water. I thought that this might be having an effect on the window operation. So before I replace the window operator I will order and install a new window gasket or seal what ever it is called.
Nightflt

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure how or why a bad or dying window motor and/or regulator would have anything to do with OP's power mirror not folding.

lxrick

Reaction score
Not sure how or why a bad or dying window motor and/or regulator would have anything to do with OP's power mirror not folding.

If it´s cold and the window is operating very slow because of the regulator problems, the motor of the window uses a lot of power.
The folding Mirror and the window Motor are using the same power cross-points, ground cables and so on in the cable tree, which means that the smaller mirror motor has no chance to get enough power while the bigger motor of the window is causing almost a short circuit.

Especially when the engine stops running and the system voltage drops from 14.2 to 12 volts the window is even getting slower and the probs are getting worse.
I am sure the power mirrors are working fine when folding them not simultaneously with a closing window.

cheers Alex

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357