Drivetrain noise or tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rv8striker

Reaction score
We had a 2012 Expi and traded it for a 2021 max. From day one I have been hearing either tire noise or rear end noise. At 25MPH it’s a pulsating whirring sound. If one were to say the word “woof, woof, woof” over and over again is the best way I can describe it. It changes frequency as speed increases. At highway speed it is a constant and, to me, very distracting. I’m thinking either drivetrain noise or, I’m hearing noise from the Hankook Dynapro ATM tires. Think I’m taking it back to the dealership again but would appreciate any ideas from this group.

twodollars

Reaction score
Your description of noise sure sounds like tire noise to me. I would rotate the tires and see if the noise follows the tires. Likely it will, and then you cam resolve the issue with a better set of made in country rubber. One place I would encourage you to spend a little more for a name brand product. Just my opinion, but that has been my experience.

OP
OP
R

rv8striker

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Tires have been rotated with every oil change and there has been no noticeable difference in the noise. We’re coming up on 25,000 miles and I can’t wait to replace the tires. My wife is the primary driver, and she does not hear what I have been complaining about. I drive it when we go together somewhere. So far, I regret buying the 2021 and wish we had our 2012 back or gone back to a Suburban; we’ve had 4 of them over the years. The whole vehicle seems light, tinny and cheap to me.

twodollars

Reaction score
We have a 2012. I miss my 2500 burbs, all 3 were diesels. Expedition is a lot cushier, but sure not the same workhorse we were used to. Good luck.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recheck air pressure if you have not done so. You may have a belt in one tire structure slipping.
What Brand tire are you running. Most are made in China now, even Pirelli (my favorite)

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4th gens as well as F150’s which is the same front end are famous for bad wheel bearings besides feathered tires from a needed wheel alignment. Are you feeling or hearing it more from the front and any slight change when you slightly turn the steering wheel for a highway speed kind of turn? If it is, best way is to have a shop spin the front wheel and hold the coil spring to see if a whirring or grinding feel is felt in the spring. That’s the best test for a wheel bearing. Tires are also possible if they have a feathered look to the edges of the tread blocks that will make noise as well and usually caused by bad tires or an alignment that’s out of spec.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this issue recently. It was a wheel bearing. Trying pulling off the tire and rotating by hand. If you feel any binding or vibration, the bearing is likely no good. It was obvious when I spun my hub that it was bad. In my case, I swore it was the driver front, but it was actually the passenger front. Before swapping bearings I had tires rotated and balanced, which did nothing to the eliminate the noise.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Hankook ATM tire has an aggressive off road tread, think your on the right track with the tires creating noise.