DRL question(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
Not too long ago I had two different people pull out in front of me which caused panic stops on my part. I decided that adding DRL's wouldn't be a bad idea. My 08 LTD is silver and I suppose, in certain lighting conditions it doesn't attract enough attention. Who knows, but lights should help eliminate that issue.

I bought some switchbacks for the front parking lights, and they do work as advertised (white running/amber turn signal) but the parking lights have to be turned on. I'd like them to come on automatically when the truck is started for my wife, daughter and my occasional brain fart.

My questions are: If I run an ignition switched lead to the parking light wire will it work?
Will it back feed to the rear lights? (If it does can I terminate the wire before the splice)
Will any of this confuse the trons in the computer?

These are my shade tree thoughts and that tree was planted well before computers in cars were born.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not too long ago I had two different people pull out in front of me which caused panic stops on my part. I decided that adding DRL's wouldn't be a bad idea. My 08 LTD is silver and I suppose, in certain lighting conditions it doesn't attract enough attention. Who knows, but lights should help eliminate that issue.

I bought some switchbacks for the front parking lights, and they do work as advertised (white running/amber turn signal) but the parking lights have to be turned on. I'd like them to come on automatically when the truck is started for my wife, daughter and my occasional brain fart.

My questions are: If I run an ignition switched lead to the parking light wire will it work?
Will it back feed to the rear lights? (If it does can I terminate the wire before the splice)
Will any of this confuse the trons in the computer?

These are my shade tree thoughts and that tree was planted well before computers in cars were born.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

I ordered and bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. Ford would not permit its customers to pay for the DRL option, unless the vehicle was a fleet purchase in 2015 (and other model years).

I simply turn on my low beam headlamps and fog lights every time I drive, to service as a DRL feature.

I’ve had to replace the low beam bulbs more often, but I did not have to modify my vehicle.

I was surprised Ford has the capability for DRL, but would not let a customer pay extra for the feature.

OP
OP
Anchorclanker

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
I did find where I can enable the DRL function via FORSCAN but that doesn't give me the ability to turn them off without putting the vehicle in park. I pass through a security gate weekly and they want headlights of so they can see occupants inside the vehicle.

OP
OP
Anchorclanker

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
Since my OP I’ve been searching for options for the DRL’s and finally found these. I found that the 2008-2011 Ranger shares the same fog light mounting as the 2007-2014 Expedition. These lights work as advertised, on with the ignition on and off when the headlights are on. The wiring is pretty much self-explanatory, especially since there were no instructions provided. You need to connect two wires. The red, fused, wire to a switched power supply and the yellow to the low beam headlights. I used an empty fuse slot in the block under the hood that only had power with the ignition on.

The only mounting issue I had was the aim adjusting screw. The one provided was about ¼” to long and it hit the back of the mounting recess keeping the light from being flush. I switched these screws with the ones from the OEM lights and it went together with no problem. The quality seems okay but only time will tell.

This solves my issue so it may help someone else too. Using the switchback turn signals made it impossible to see my radio/climate control panel during the daytime.

colorow

Reaction score
My 2017 Expedition XLT doesn't have DRL and Ford says they can't install them. Does anyone know how to do it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni