Drove to Maine from North Carolina during the big freeze observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard_S

Reaction score
Hello All,

I hope everyone is having a great start to the New Year!

I just wanted to share some observations of driving a high mileage vehicle from a warm climate into a cold climate.

I grew up in Maine and have also lived in VT and upstate NY so I'm no stranger to the challenges of owning vehicles in the winter.

This truck has always lived in NC. Just before Christmas the original water pump started leaking on my 2012 212k truck, fortunately it did it at home right after a trip to FL. I had that replaced and we drove to Maine on the 26th. Temps were below zero with windchills about minus 20 and roads were mixed from the snow the days before.

1. I noticed that at low temps the running boards make a slight grinding noise right at the end of down travel. I keep them lubricated regularly with and have never had an issue with them. They worked fine, no issues, just the little noise at the end. Have any of you heard this noise? When temps are above freezing this noise goes away.

2. The engine makes more noise when started cold. I always let it idle 5 to 10 minutes when below freeing especially when below zero!. The truck has always had Motorcraft 5W-20 full synthetic since new and has never had any phaser etc issue. The serpentine belt has about 20k miles on it and there is more belt noise. There is a slight increase in engine noise, valve train light tapping for the first couple of minutes.

3. I left it in A4wd when there was intermittant packed snow and bare but shiney road surface, probably black ice. I would put it into 2wd when the roads were clear and cold. If anything the shift delay just took longer due to the stiffer cold grease.

4. Fuel mileage dropped by about 2-3 mpg, since the cold temps, and 10% ethanol and A4wd usage.

Other than that, pretty normal. The cold weather keeps the overdrive from engaging until the engine is a normal temp, but was a good trip and we all stayed warm.

5. 4wd usage with the Michelin Defenders worked great on snow covered roads and unplowed driveways.

My daughter questioned why are we taking your truck that has so many miles instead of mom's? I told here that if you take care of a vehicle by doing the required maintenance and fixinge issues that come up, because things will wear out, then it shouldn't be an issue to drive it.
This truck is still going strong, and we took it instead of our 2014 Explorer since I am very tall and there is way more comfort for me, and my daughter enjoyed driving it too.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is at 160,000 miles running good no camphaser issues either. I agree I keep my truck in perfect working order and fix things as they go. Only issue on mine is the rocker panels are getting pretty crappy below, but that doesn’t effect operation or driveability of the vehicle. I keep them soaked in fluid film to displace moisture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Richard_S

Richard_S

Reaction score
Vehicles last a long time if taken care of, sounds like you have a good one. IMHO it's well worth keeping a vehicle after it's paid off, if you enjoy it and don't get bored with it.

That's good to keep the rocker panels soaked, will definately make them last longer. NY is brutal on vehicles, the salt mixture they use, the car dealers love, but owners hate... When I lived up north I wondered about the cathode anode corrosion systems similar to what large ships use, to combat the corrosion, but I never did buy one to try it.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The air density in temps that cold is the main driver behind mpg drop. Colder air is much thicker, harder to move out of the way.

My boards make the same noise when it's cold. I don't pay it much mind, but watch for them to stick down and make sure they fold properly.

My alternator is very noisy in the cold, but it goes away after it warms up a bit. 5-10 minutes of warmup is probably unnecessary, it should only need a minute or two tops. Also the block heater helps a TON with this, if you have it, but since it was sold in NC you probably don't.

That's about how I use 4A too. IMO it's more helpful in getting un-stuck too because 4H tries to split power evenly, 4A will send up to 100% of power to front or back when trying to find a wheel with traction. I learned this last night. :)

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The air density in temps that cold is the main driver behind mpg drop. Colder air is much thicker, harder to move out of the way.

Not really.

When air temp is that cold, the air is much more dense, but pushing a vehicle through that denser air isn't the reason for the drop in MPG. Denser air requires more fuel to maintain stoichiometry. Cold temps cause the engine to take longer to warm up- which causes the ECU to stay in open loop longer. And the gasoline that you burn in the winter has increased amounts of ethanol to decrease emissions in cold weather.

If anything, the only thing related to cold weather driving-down-the-road and decreased mileage is all the fluids in the front and rear differentials, that pour slowly at room temp, are REALLY thick below freezing.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My daughter questioned why are we taking your truck that has so many miles instead of mom's?

Going to be taking my 2000 Expedition with 225k miles on a 2,000 mile road trip soon while leaving the 2012 Escape with 54k miles in the garage.

Even though the a Expedition gets worse mileage, it's far more comfortable.

OP
OP
Richard_S

Richard_S

Reaction score
Going to be taking my 2000 Expedition with 225k miles on a 2,000 mile road trip soon while leaving the 2012 Escape with 54k miles in the garage.

Even though the a Expedition gets worse mileage, it's far more comfortable.

I agree, the expedition is a real comfortable highway machine. Have a fun trip!

Woodyboyd

Reaction score
2000 with 300,000 weekly towing. I love everything but the MPG.IMG_1880.jpg everything but the MPG.