Dumb question about 2H/4A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canyonero

Reaction score
Just bought a new-used 2020 Max Platinum a couple days ago. I’ve noticed there’s a “drive mode” knob and buttons near the transmission shifter. One button is 2H and one is 4A. 2H I assume is two wheel drive.

But is the 4A like all wheel drive?

I ask because I don’t want it to be like regular 4 wheel drive and drive it at highway speeds on flat pavement and blow my transfer case or whatever these new cars have. The last 4WD vehicle was an explorer I had 20 years ago.

Anything bad happen if you’re on the interstate in 4A?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, you can drive it in 4A on the highway and no damage will happen.

the transfer case has clutches that modulate the torque going to the front wheels. If it senses inadequate conditions for the front drive line (during turning), it will simply disengage it.

That said, there is no need to drive in 4A on the highway on regular basis. These things are very capable in 2H.

Plati

Reaction score
Not being sarcastic here , just trying to help.
MrSoli is right but the Best thing to do is read the Owners Manual.

Hope that helps.

vincentrose

Reaction score
I would recommend 2H for regular dry pavement driving, as this mode completely disengages the front drive line and the front wheels from the driveline also. This will give you better fuel economy since the front drive axles and drive shafts doesn't rotate in this mode.

However in 4A mode it is still basically in RWD mode but it will automatically engage 4WD when it detects wheel slip by monitoring the difference between the front and rear driveshafts, but in order to do this, the front wheels must be engaged to the axleshafts, differential and front driveshaft. The rotations of all these parts causes mechanical resistance which uses more fuel in doing so, which is why I advise 2H mode during clear dry weather, on clear dry roads. In 2H mode all of this is disconnected, hence no mechanical resistance in this mode.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not being sarcastic here , just trying to help.
MrSoli is right but the Best thing to do is read the Owners Manual.

Hope that helps.

The owners manual, at least for the Lincoln is essentially useless in understanding the mode of operation associated with each drive mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk