E10 vs E5 petrol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

effingpot

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Here in the UK we just moved from E5 grade petrol (gas) to E10. The UK govt advice is that cars 6 years old or less will be fine with E10 so I switched for my US 2015 Expedition.

But now I'm wondering .... does the drive feel different? Made me realise I have no clue what grade the US is using ref E5/E10. Can anyone enlighten me? Should I go back to the (now more expensive) E5 or stay on the new E10?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

(Both E5 and E10 are unleaded petrol but E10 contains a higher proportion of bio-ethanol - up to 10% compared with a maximum of 5% in E5. This higher bio-ethanol content - obtained from renewable sources - helps to reduce the CO2 emissions from vehicles but slightly reduces their fuel efficiency.)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer E85 (on my V8). Not sure about ecoboosts.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
US gas has contained up to 10% ethanol for many years now. you should be just fine running a fuel that may contain up to 10% ethanol.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here in the US we are on E10 (10% ethanol 90% gasoline). Some places have moved up to E15. Our 93 octane fuel has the most (usually 10% ethanol) and lowest octane 87 at around 5-8%. Ethanol takes more of it to make the same heat energy as gasoline so you would get better miles or KM’s per gallon on E10. If that’s cheaper and gets better miles and KM’s per gallon I’d for sure use that. The only thing that is good about higher ethanol E50 is the octane is higher, runs cleaner and does make more power in turbocharged engines if tuned for it but you will use more of it per given distance.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread and thought your were comparing E50 to E10. If your comparing E5. (5% ethanol) versus E10 (10%) - what’s the octane difference between the two where you are?

OP
OP
effingpot

effingpot

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Good news then - us moving to E10 just gets the car to what it's expecting, being a US car.
(The 5 and 10 are the % ethanol, dunno the exact octane levels, thought it was the remainder - ie 95% and 90%, but maybe not)

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be fine on 10% ethanol. We’ve been on it for more than 10 years. I’d just pick the higher octane of the two fuels since the Ecoboost engines seem to prefer that.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were you that guy with the oddball V8 facelift model that isn't supposed to exist but somehow does?

OP
OP
effingpot

effingpot

Reaction score

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! The octane on the E5 is 99 and the E10 is 95. That’s way higher than our watered down gasoline here in the states. I can buy 98 octane unleaded no ethanol at a local drag strip for $15.50 per gallon for comparison but the highest octane found at filling stations is 93 unleaded with 10% ethanol for about $3.75 per gallon .