Easy place to get 12VDC and Ground in the overhead center console strip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to install a fixed power kit for a radar detector mounted right below my mirror so instead of running a cable from the fuse panel up the A pillar then along the roof/windshield line, I want to get power from the over head console where the rear AC controls and such are so I have a nice easy clean install with just the 4 wire phone cord going to my radar detector.

Anybody know color coding Ford uses so I don't have to poke every wire? Are Black and Green typically ground with red always hot and orange keyed hot. Is this what Ford uses?

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It varies. I think the cigerette lighter near the passenger footwell uses brown and purple or something like that. if you haven't figured it out let me know as I'm planning on mounting some toggle switches up there and will be running some wires in the next week or so . I can take a closer look if you haven't figured it out already

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use the feed from the rear view mirror with a MirrorTap kit ....

https://www.amazon.com/MIRRORTAP-POWER-CORDS-MirrorTap-MTX-1015/dp/B00L2SVXQO?th=1

I suggest getting the 20" kit, so you don't end up short on the lead and limited to where you can mount your detector. I clip my Valentine One to the passenger visor so it's out of view and out of the sunlight. These MirroTap kits make for a clean looking installation.

-Mike

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your vehicle? Hard to give an answer without that info. Anytime you tap into existing wires, you need to know how much the items on that circuit are drawing, and will tapping into that circuit cause other issues. I've seen time after time on this forum, where a member runs into weird problems, and finds out it was from previous owner or a shop, tapped into something that they shouldn't have. Before you run a splice into an existing wire, be sure you aren't exceeding that fuses rating. I know it's a little more work, but if theirs a fuse that's open, with nothing on that circuit, that's the way to go. On heavier draws like amplifiers, and such, manufactures recommend straight to the positive side of battery with a fuse inline. Yours is lower powered, so you should find something closer. Just do your homework, and get a schematic for your year.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk