Eaton Supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

404NltFound

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a question.

I have been wanting to do an Eaton swap from a Lightning in my 02 Expedition 4x4 for a while. I have seen threads on here where guys are swapping the complete L motors, but I don't believe that route would be in my price range. I have read all over that putting an Eaton on a N/A 5.4L can be done, but I can't find a list of the parts required to do it. Supposedly a dead site called MAD Enterprises had it at one point, but the domain is no longer registered, so I'm dead in the water at this point with out physically stripping two motors and seeing the differences. I know that the wiring harnesses will work and a tune is required, but as for a parts list I'm stuck.

I'm wondering if any of you have any insight on the parts I would need to gather.

I also read on here about a V10 swap, which could be fun..

Is either option better/less expensive than the other?

Thanks,
Chase

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To do a super charger swap the right way would be to source a Lightning donor truck. If you think you can just swap the blower on be ready for melted pistions. More air requires more fuel so due your research before pulling the trigger. You may also look into parts availability for rebuilding the blower. Mini Cooper S ran an Eaton SC for a while, now specific drive gears are no longer available. They need to be custom made.

OP
OP
404NltFound

404NltFound

Reaction score
To do a super charger swap the right way would be to source a Lightning donor truck. If you think you can just swap the blower on be ready for melted pistions. More air requires more fuel so due your research before pulling the trigger. You may also look into parts availability for rebuilding the blower. Mini Cooper S ran an Eaton SC for a while, now specific drive gears are no longer available. They need to be custom made.

From what I've read on the svtperformance forum and lightning rodders, it can be done without changing the pistons in low boost applications (under 8psi). However, if you want to get the best out of it then the pistons, heads, and preferably block are needed. In that case like you said, a donor truck would be the best way to do it. I found one, but it's wrecked and has a biohazard sticker on the window. I don't pull parts from fatality vehicles.

That is a good point about the drive gears though. Definitely something I hadn't thought about, so I appreciate it.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we used to have a supercharged section on here a while back; not sure if it's archived or not.

what is your end-game desire?

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good news. I have just done what you are asking about. See pictures I posted.
stock 5.4L N/A with supercharger. KEY!!! STAY UNDER 8LBS OF BOOST!!!!) if you go above that you will be asking for a new motor.
also before you fire it up make sure there is a dyno shop and a mechanic that can tune it. you will save thousands of dollars if you attempt yourself.

expectations:

With 373 Posi rear end, a 2800 high stall torch converter, and a conservative tune you are looking at 385 - 425 WHP with 400 - 450torch at the wheel.

Now after you source all the parts needed, you will have a truck that can be used for everyday use and have a little fun with.

When it breaks its expensive to fix. Parts are hard to fine and not cheep.

FYI: the most expensive part of your build will be the throttle cable. This item cost me $225.00

if you want a list I can assist.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0474-2.jpg

83F29BB2-C28C-45A1-94A3-A63637ED1CC2.JPG

7D938148-E8FA-4E2B-B5BF-BFFEFDDC3505.JPG

OP
OP
404NltFound

404NltFound

Reaction score
good news. I have just done what you are asking about. See pictures I posted.
stock 5.4L N/A with supercharger. KEY!!! STAY UNDER 8LBS OF BOOST!!!!) if you go above that you will be asking for a new motor.
also before you fire it up make sure there is a dyno shop and a mechanic that can tune it. you will save thousands of dollars if you attempt yourself.

expectations:

With 373 Posi rear end, a 2800 high stall torch converter, and a conservative tune you are looking at 385 - 425 WHP with 400 - 450torch at the wheel.

Now after you source all the parts needed, you will have a truck that can be used for everyday use and have a little fun with.

When it breaks its expensive to fix. Parts are hard to fine and not cheep.

FYI: the most expensive part of your build will be the throttle cable. This item cost me $225.00

if you want a list I can assist.

I need to call my Dr. because I looked at your truck 4 hours ago and there's no end in sight.

I would be incredibly thankful for any help with a list.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a complete lightning motor and setup for sale on Facebook in lutz Florida for 3500.00. Everything included. No list needed. From what I see it needs IC AND throttle cable, air box and your set

D7F2368B-39CA-40CA-9E1B-681F3AC29A1E.png

0F7BB1F5-AB5B-4AF8-B0F7-064112B986AD.png