Eco-boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

smith

Reaction score
I'm looking at used 2019 and 2020s and they all have had cam phaser service work done at least once and some have had to have the water pump replaced.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the most part I have changed oil in every vehicle I've owned at 5,000 miles or even more frequently. Included among those vehicles was our 2003 6.0 diesel which had only one issue in the nine years we owned it and that was a CAC tube blowing off one time. Our Expedition is an early '19 build with the older cam phasers and, knock on wood, still runs very quiet and trouble-free. Perhaps the previous owners of those vehicles with documented cam phaser issues did not service their vehicles regularly or depended on the oil life monitor to tell them when to schedule service.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe the Start/Stop crapology has caused some of the failures on the newer models that have it? Doesn’t the ecu re-flash phaser fix make the engine turn over longer before starting to build oil pressure? How does that work with Start/Stop technology? I remember oil commercials stating something like 90% of engine wear occurs on startup. I think of how the manufacturers put that crap on new cars just to make MPG numbers to appease the government and realize everything isn’t always for the good of the life of the engine. My opinion is the same on some of their oil weight recommendations also….. not necessarily for longevity but more for mileage. It’s probably the same case with recommended oil change intervals also being more based on protecting the environment than the engine.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will say this, my 3.5 Ecoboost has put as many smiles on my face as any other of my favorite engines have. Maybe I just got a good one, but I bet good ones are the majority. The little engine that could.