EcoBoost 3.5L Expeditions 2015 - 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cy Webit

Reaction score
Haven't had much luck on the net so asking here:

Has anyone replaced their stock intercooler with aftermarket? If so, what brand and how did the fitment go? The F150 guys have lots of options for replacement intercoolers but I can't seem to find anything other than Wagner that's a direct fit?

Also what other performance mods have you done?

I'm looking to eeck more power from my 2016 on my EL.
Thanks for your feedback!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedtion 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost V-6. This is the first Ford I've purchased in 45 years of driving.

I am very impressed with the power and smootheness of the engine. I have not modified the engine, nor would I.

What do you hope to accomplish if you modify the intercooler? I'd bet that even if you could increase the horsepower by 20 - you could not actually feel the increase. By modifying the intake system, you may void the 5 years / 60,000 power train warranty.

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well here's a good question, does the intercooler from an F-150 have the same part number as the intercooler in your expedition? If so then replacements should have the same mounting brackets and tabs as yours.

OP
OP
C

Cy Webit

Reaction score
Hab, good idea! Going from part #s, it looks like my 2016 EXPY intercooler part number will fit in the 2013 - 2014 F150. So stands to reason any intercooler for the 2013-2014 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L should fit into my truck.
Thanks

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to understand WHY the different components are used. An Intercoolers does exactly the same thing as your radiator except in most cases, they are air-to-air heat exchangers.

This is done to cool the intake charge because lower temps allow for denser charge. More importantly, it helps cool the intake manifolds lowering the detonation threshold. THAT is why it's used!

Swapping the stock IC for one 5 times as large will not net you anything in real world terms.

Move your peak boost up by 3psi and you'll do more than any IC will.

jeff

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think if you were to put head studs on, larger turbos and larger injectors the upgraded intercooler would be necessary. Using a larger intercooler with a stock tune will do very little.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without additional engine mods or bigger turbos you certainly will not be gaining anything for the $800 plus they cost.

I would like to move the intercooler up higher so that I could put a winch where the factory intercooler is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE