Ecoboost Expy Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as my tip for running the engine 30 sec to drain the filter, I did this on my 1987 Porsche 944 every 3000mi and put 210K on it before selling it and never had a problem. (The 944 oil filter was upside down on top of the engine-so much for german engineering)
I had a bad, 1st oil change, experience at the dealer who sold me my new Expy and maint package. It took 4-1/2 hr for the oil change and tire rotation . I have my tires numbered and when they brought the Expy out I noticed they only rotated 3 tires. They brought it in again and 30 min later told me it was done. This time they put the tires back in the original spots and when told them what they did this time, they had me stand next to the tech in the shop while he rotated the tires.
But wait there's more. When i finally checked out I saw that the service ticket showed that the put 5-20 instead of 5-30 oil. At that point I had to make another appointment for the next day to have them change the oil to 5-30. All total I spent 7hr waiting for what should have been a 1 hr job. The only reason I had purchased the maint package was that my recent surgery made it near impossible to do all the gymnastics to change it myself. Shortly after that I cancelled the balance of the maint package.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as my tip for running the engine 30 sec to drain the filter, I did this on my 1987 Porsche 944 every 3000mi and put 210K on it before selling it and never had a problem. (The 944 oil filter was upside down on top of the engine-so much for german engineering)
I had a bad, 1st oil change, experience at the dealer who sold me my new Expy and maint package. It took 4-1/2 hr for the oil change and tire rotation . I have my tires numbered and when they brought the Expy out I noticed they only rotated 3 tires. They brought it in again and 30 min later told me it was done. This time they put the tires back in the original spots and when told them what they did this time, they had me stand next to the tech in the shop while he rotated the tires.
But wait there's more. When i finally checked out I saw that the service ticket showed that the put 5-20 instead of 5-30 oil. At that point I had to make another appointment for the next day to have them change the oil to 5-30. All total I spent 7hr waiting for what should have been a 1 hr job. The only reason I had purchased the maint package was that my recent surgery made it near impossible to do all the gymnastics to change it myself. Shortly after that I cancelled the balance of the maint package.

Twice, I had the selling Ford dealer service department put 5-W-20 oil in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (purchased new). The service advisor said “his guys” weren’t used to the 5-W-30 oil yet.

A third time, the same dealership installed 8 quarts of oil in the engine (6 quarts of 5-W-30 per the invoice). The first two times, I realized the 5-W-20 oil based upon the invoice. I found the overfilled crankcase when I got home and checked the oil on the third time.

I no longer go to that dealership for anything. I underwent four surgeries and can no longer do the heavy maintenance work that I’ve done on my vehicles for years.

Poor service drives customers away from dealerships and most dealership owners haven’t figured that out yet. Not only do they lose service customers, they lose future vehicle sales and referrals to friends and family.

OP
OP
Brubro

Brubro

Reaction score
Only plate that needs to come off is the one covering the oil pan. Remove that and the fabric liner up front jack the vehicle up and get to work. Y’all are making this seem impossible. I’m about to change my wife’s oil on her 16 and make a video to put you all at ease...

No one ever said it was impossible. In fact, I said quite the opposite, that I DID IT but am amazed at what a PITA it is. That is the point of all of this. Show me one post where anyone said or suggested that it was impossible. This kind of statement is just not helpful at all. If all you have to say is the above, just save yourself some time and effort, because you are not helping anyone or adding anything to the conversation. Don't put words in other people's mouths.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Uh, WTFO?!?!? Nobody else caught this? Are you out of your daggon mind? Good way to smoke your engine quick fast and in a hurry!

Yeah I caught it, had a big chuckle and figured I'll just let it slide. I will mention it in my auto circles so we can all have a good laugh. I have heard and seen worse. Why bother to try and change someone if they feel something is right for them? I know a guy who would never ever change the oil in his vehicles, only the filter every 3-5K and add makeup oil and he had several vans in his business fleet. Every 100K he would trade them in for new vans. His theory was the oil never wears out, only the filter gets dirty. (He is an intelligent electronic technician.) It just reinforces what I said all along...reading what goes on with some vehicles, I will never buy a used vehicle unless I'm planning on doing a complete rebuild. LOL

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Please don't call it a tip. It is one of the most moronic things I've read on vehicle related boards in a long time and you read a lot of foolish things on the net... I don't mean to be nasty to you, but you obviously have no knowledge of how engines work. You should not be giving advice.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not recommend to people to run their truck for 30 secs to drain the filter. Thts the dumbest thing I’ve heard all year

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but once you drain the oil from the crankcase, running the engine won't drain any oil from the filter. The oil is pushed through the filter by oil pressure. It is pumped through the filter. If you have removed the oil, then there is no 'new' oil being pushed into into the filter to push the 'old' oil out of it. So the 'old' oil in the filter will just sit there in the filter while your engine is running without oil

The mechanical motion of the engine won't remove any oil from the filter if the crankcase is empty of other oil. So by running the engine you do not get any benefit and have exposure to damage.

Just do what everyone does. Remove the filter manually and dumps its contents out. Wipe down any spillage.

OP
OP
Brubro

Brubro

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but once you drain the oil from the crankcase, running the engine won't drain any oil from the filter. The oil is pushed through the filter by oil pressure. It is pumped through the filter. If you have removed the oil, then there is no 'new' oil being pushed into into the filter to push the 'old' oil out of it. So the 'old' oil in the filter will just sit there in the filter while your engine is running without oil

The mechanical motion of the engine won't remove any oil from the filter if the crankcase is empty of other oil. So by running the engine you do not get any benefit and have exposure to damage.

Just do what everyone does. Remove the filter manually and dumps its contents out. Wipe down any spillage.

Damn straight, Skippy! Dead nuts accurate

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Uh, I know I may get dinged on the, "Can you really trust them to get it right?" I order my Mobile 1 Annual Protection full synthetic oil from Amazon, Walmart, or AutoZone, who ever has the best price around the time it's coming due, same for the above average oil filter. It all gets sent to my house, I put it in the back, and my local Valvoline Quick Lube does all the grunt work. I just check underneath to make sure they did not leave something off, they can get pretty busy. So far, so good. Besides they know I am a particular, detail oriented, intolerant, crabby old fart! So far, so good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes