Ecoboost Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
That' what I loved about my Broncos, Mustangs, and E350 vans. All took FL1A! My Taurus and my 05 Expy both took the 820S, that was nice too... oh well. It won' be too long until I get my F150 with the ecoboost, I'll be back to 1 filter number again :)

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is how I attack the filter in the ecoboost....

Leave the front end on the ground, unclip the map sensor and remove the top portion of the intake filter box, that way you can get to the filter from the top. Then you can just reach your hand down there and unscrew the filter slowly. If you give it time to drain before fully removing it the oil should only flow out of the back portion of the catch funnel.

I'm pretty tall and have long arms and I found this to work the best for me.

15ish years ago I worked at a tire shop and changed a lot of oil. This expedition rates in my top 5 PITA oil filter locations for sure.

OP
OP
DF5.4

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is how I attack the filter in the ecoboost....

Leave the front end on the ground, unclip the map sensor and remove the top portion of the intake filter box, that way you can get to the filter from the top. Then you can just reach your hand down there and unscrew the filter slowly. If you give it time to drain before fully removing it the oil should only flow out of the back portion of the catch funnel.

I'm pretty tall and have long arms and I found this to work the best for me.

15ish years ago I worked at a tire shop and changed a lot of oil. This expedition rates in my top 5 PITA oil filter locations for sure.

I'll try this the next time.

kekman

Reaction score
Great tip- I will definitely try that at next oil change.

Here is another little tip that amazingly works- install a super magnet on outside side of your oil filter. Try it and first time you change filter- cut filter open to see the metal it picks up- it will make you a believer. Been doing this for about 15 years on my family cars. I also put then near diff case drain plugs or bottoms and oil pans if metallic. Collects the metals and keeps them from floating around causing further damage.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been driving for 20 years now and never paid someone to do an oil change. I currently have quite a few vehicles and have parted with a few others. I would say outside of tire mounting, balancing, and alignments (just don’t have the spare cash to justify the equipment costs) I have paid someone in less than 15 instances to work on my vehicles.

Though with the Expedition the dealer I picked it up from “includes” a lifetime unlimited mileage power train warranty. Only caveat is the oil must be changed every 5,000 miles and all owners manual indicated maintenance must be performed by an ASE certified mechanic. Kind of expected the work to have to be performed by them but not the case. Which is good as the dealer I bought from is about an hour away.

The local Ford dealership frequently sends out flyers offering the works 5 quart oil change and tire rotation for 14.95. I am guessing the extra quart they will charge $10 for. But still at $25 I can barely do it myself for that plus they rotate the tires.

Spark plugs are called for at 100k. I’ll do them at 50k and have someone else do them at 100k for my warranty purposes.
Same with differential fluid and transfer case fluid if memory serves me correctly. So they’ll get Amsoil by me at 50k.

I always change these things more frequently than called for. I really dislike the idea of spark plugs being in a motor that long. I currently only drive about 11k a year. Cheap insurance in my book.

Transmission is called for at 150k I think so I’ll do it at 75k and somebody at $150.

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2017 EL limited. My last vehicle had the easiest/cleanest oil changes ever - filter on top of the engine, used a oil extractor to pull the oil from the pan through the dipstick. No mess at all, super easy.
Has anyone looked at doing a remote mount for the oil filter to make this easier?

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
an oil extractor will never get as much residue out of the bottom of the pan as will draining from the drain plug will.

And its real important to get out as much of that as possible on every oil change.

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
an oil extractor will never get as much residue out of the bottom of the pan as will draining from the drain plug will.

And its real important to get out as much of that as possible on every oil change.

Not true, depends entirely on the oil pan. In my last car, before adopting that procedure, I extracted the oil and then pulled the drain plug, not a drop came out. The extractor also has graduations so you know how much oil has come out.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
exactly right

depends on the oil pan

also depends on if you get the tube to the very lowest part of the pan

no guarantee of that

you are guaranteed of it if you drain it via the plug

also they suck out very slow compared to the rush of oil that comes out of the drain plug. In my opinion that helps to flush out the pan better than sucking it out slowly through a straw does

I have one of these, I know how they work

I used it for an I/O boat I had that the oil plug was impossible to get at.

I would not trust it on something I could get to the drain plug on

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
.....Here is another little tip that amazingly works- install a super magnet on outside side of your oil filter. Try it and first time you change filter- cut filter open to see the metal it picks up- it will make you a believer. Been doing this for about 15 years on my family cars. I also put then near diff case drain plugs or bottoms and oil pans if metallic. Collects the metals and keeps them from floating around causing further damage.
So are you saying the oil filter does'nt catch the metal particles but they are held by the external magnet?

My Polaris snowmobile chaincase oil dipstick has a magnet end and always has metal particles on it when checked.