Ecoboost Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kekman

Reaction score
The oil filter does pick up various contaminates including any metallic particles larger than the micron rating of the filter media. However, the engine produces very fine metallic particles smaller than the micron rating of the filter. The magnet helps pick up these particles as well. I cut open my filters after every oil change and it still amazes me to this day the metallic fines that are on the magnet area inside the filter casing.
Look at your industrial and commercial drivetrains- many of them incorporate magnets in their oil filtration systems. It is not the principal filter, but good insurance

FordTraveler

Reaction score
I am looking into using a Trasko USA oil filter. You change the oil 10 times for every 100,000 miles of driving. It keeps the oil super clean. You take off the filter and replace the cartridge inside. It's a spin-on bypass oil filter. Amsoil makes one of the best bypass filters, but the are over $200 and sometimes require fabrication to install it and you need space. With the Trasko filter, it spins on in place of the old filter. I used to have one on my old car and forgot to remove it before I traded the car in. I remember driving over 7,000 miles on my oil. I had a guy who had 1,000 miles on his vehicle park next to me and we both compared dip sticks to see how dirty the oil was. His was dark brown. My dipstick looked like the oil was changed 200 miles prior. When I told him I had over 7,000+ miles, the guy was in complete disbelief because the oil looked way too clean.

Reaction score
I was also thinking of going reusable/lifetime filters but none I've seen have anti-drainback valves. In my explorer, the filter mounts upright so I'm not worried about antidrainback valves. Since the ecoboost filter mounts sideways, I think it's going to need one.

Are there any permanent/reusable/lifetime oil filters with antidrainback valves?

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 4360 miles on my new 2018, and am towing my boat to the coast on Sunday. So I wanted to change my oil. I exchanged the filters I had left over from my 2008 for some to fit the new truck, and have synthetic blend 5-30W on hand. I called Jiffy Lube on a whim, they quoted me $82 for synthetic blend and $93 for full synthetic. So, I called the dealer. Turns out they sell a package of 3 oil changes, tire rotations and multipoint inspections for $90, or $96.17. Works out to $32 per service compared to $26 DIY. Not bad, I don't have to crawl under the car, clean everything up and recycle the oil. Now I don't know what to do with all that oil.;)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put the oil for sale at a discount on Craig's list/eBay. Christmas is coming up, 5 quarts should stuff into a stocking for your cousin/nephew/brother! Id sure be happy on the 25th to unwrap oil. Who wouldn't, sure beats tube socks!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what, the drain plug doesn't have a magnet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

skydude

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2017 EL limited. My last vehicle had the easiest/cleanest oil changes ever - filter on top of the engine, used a oil extractor to pull the oil from the pan through the dipstick. No mess at all, super easy.
Has anyone looked at doing a remote mount for the oil filter to make this easier?
I know this thread is old...but..,I have a 2011 Expedition and I bought a Harbor Freight oil extractor..but the plastic tubing will not go all the way down the dipstick tube...What type of extractor did you use..Thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01