Ecoboost problems I'm encountering...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keaton Taylor

Reaction score
So I have the thing I've posted about before that I believe to be an IWE Solenoid (bought the replacement, just need to put it on)

1. My engine isn't throwing any codes but is definitely idling rough and it seems like it's putting out more exhaust than it should. I have plugs and no one local had OEM boots but they're supposed to get delivered tomorrow.

2. The battery is reading 11.9v at rest and is very clearly causing hard starts. Easy fix - going to get a Motorcraft 850 CCA replacement today. No big deal.

3. Yesterday there was a new sound under the hood - in neutral I revved the engine and as the RPMs were winding down, there was a hum and clicking. The initial thought was this was just a turbo winding down but I haven't heard this before so I'm a touch concerned. When they replaced the turbo (wastegate issue) a bolt broke off and went into the exhaust (intake? I don't have the paperwork here with me and am only mildly handy) manifold so they had to remove that to get it out. I'm wondering if they jacked up the gasket when they did that.

4. Then going up the relatively steep hill we live on yesterday I got a low pitched light grinding sound in a low gear.

Super frustrated with the dealer who I bought this from. The next step is to make an appointment with the Ford dealership that just replaced my left hand Turbo for a wastegate issue and make them let me take the tech for a drive.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get out while idling and listen to the engine, do you hear anything then? Or was it just that one time that you heard the sound after revving it?

OP
OP
Keaton Taylor

Keaton Taylor

Reaction score
If you get out while idling and listen to the engine, do you hear anything then? Or was it just that one time that you heard the sound after revving it?

I went and started it and it kind of sounds like a baseball card on the spokes of a bicycle wheel, loudest right around the underside near the driver's side door.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Something is sucking your battery dry. Ford criminally leaves the power ports (AKA cigarette lighter ports) connected directly to the battery at all times rather than switching them with the ignition.

-- Chuck
Criminally? Lol. Personally I like that they are hot all the time. I use them while the truck isn't running often. Maybe something is draining his battery and maybe it's a dead battery. Five years old. Usually mine last a lot longer, but not all batteries are created equal and you don't know the history of the battery.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I've got nothing plugged in and it's definitely the stock battery from 5 years ago.
Being it's a used vehicle and you're finding a few issues, I think I'd do a load test and try to figure out if there are any shorts that caused your battery to die sooner than it should.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that Ford leaves the outlets hot at all times. Can’t tell you how many times that’s been useful for charging my phone without having to leave the truck on or unsecured. It’s nice to be able to charge items inside and take your keys away with you when you go someplace.

OP
OP
Keaton Taylor

Keaton Taylor

Reaction score
Went and got an oil change - my service guy wasn’t in today.

Air filter was black. Oil needed to be changed. 120 point check my ass.

running some forum recommended fuel system cleaner from Chevron through her this week, then I’m going to check plugs and change boots next weekend. The clicking stopped after the expy was warmed up - I’m guessing it’s an exhaust leak based on that. No grinding or sloppy chain sounds as far as I could tell.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Went and got an oil change - my service guy wasn’t in today.

Air filter was black. Oil needed to be changed. 120 point check my ass.

running some forum recommended fuel system cleaner from Chevron through her this week, then I’m going to check plugs and change boots next weekend. The clicking stopped after the expy was warmed up - I’m guessing it’s an exhaust leak based on that. No grinding or sloppy chain sounds as far as I could tell.
Sounds reasonable. My 07 had a cracked exhaust manifold and it would do the same thing. It would quiet down when it got hot and expanded. Eventually it got worse until I fixed it.
It could also be, and is probably more likely, that the oil started making it to where it needed to go when it warmed up. Especially if it got better after an oil change.