Ecoboost spark plug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I Googled it after putting everything back together, and it turns out lots of F150 owners have had this same problem. Not many ecoboost expeditions rolling around so not as widespread of a reported issue.

I hope your change goes easier than mine, there is a tool specifically designed to remove the coil pack boot, it's like 30 bucks. You can diy it if you have a piece of thin walled aluminum or steel tubing slightly bigger than the ceramic of the spark plug. Sharpen the edges on the end and gently push it through the center of the boot and around the ceramic plug, then pull out and the boot comes with it.

I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 with the 3.5. It has 41,*** miles and I planned to change the plugs at 45,000 miles (with the air filter again).

Do the coil pack boots have to be removed? Should they be replaced? What is the special tool you spoke of? Any part number or reference number? Thank you.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 with the 3.5. It has 41,*** miles and I planned to change the plugs at 45,000 miles (with the air filter again).

Do the coil pack boots have to be removed? Should they be replaced? What is the special tool you spoke of? Any part number or reference number? Thank you.

I don’t think they need to be replaced but at some point they updated the design. I wasn’t sure if my 15 has the old design or new one so I just bought new boots to make sure I was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just finished my plug change on my 2015 and it was cake. No issues with the boots coming off the coils and sticking to the plugs. Only issue I had is that I was anticipating the coils to be harder to pull off than they were and I broke a small piece off of the flat part of the first one (see pic). I’m pretty sure all that part does is put pressure on the gasket to create a better seal. May go price one at ford. e347fd32391598a7810ebd19a45f0ef4.jpg

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yours must have been replaced or inspected at one point. I was laying on the engine, with a pry bar tool hooked under the coil pack and tugging for all I was worth. The cop would lift out but not pop off, and when you released pressure it sucked itself right back down onto the plug. I don't think I've cursed so much on a spark plug change ever. Here is the tool to remove the boots if they get stuck:

Ripped Spark Plug Boot Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CE9XZI4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pmbhBbATCJDWD

I put dialectic grease (as I've done for every spark plug change for the last 20 years), so the new ones pop out now. Once schedules slow down over the summer, I'll tackle my two stuck boots by either making my own tool or buying the overpriced one on Amazon.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yours must have been replaced or inspected at one point. I was laying on the engine, with a pry bar tool hooked under the coil pack and tugging for all I was worth. The cop would lift out but not pop off, and when you released pressure it sucked itself right back down onto the plug. I don't think I've cursed so much on a spark plug change ever. Here is the tool to remove the boots if they get stuck:

Ripped Spark Plug Boot Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CE9XZI4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pmbhBbATCJDWD

I put dialectic grease (as I've done for every spark plug change for the last 20 years), so the new ones pop out now. Once schedules slow down over the summer, I'll tackle my two stuck boots by either making my own tool or buying the overpriced one on Amazon.
Yeah that tool looks like nothing more than an aluminum 1A578E8C-2CF7-4982-8525-E62A2D099251.jpeg gutter spike ferrule..... they cost pennies not dollars at a hardware store

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I’m the original owner since it has 18 miles on it so unless they took it apart for an oil change, I don’t think they have ever been removed. Maybe the new boot design grips it tighter and I had the old one?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Much different than swapping them on an F150???
This video makes it seem quite easy.

I am coming up on 50K so I'll be doing a few things including plugs.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to keep all the info in one thread. I tried to change the plugs on my 17 EL and could not get the coil off the plug. I didn't have a metal pry tool (plan to pick one up). My plastic ones could not do the job. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to make it easier? What temp should the engine be at when attempting this replacement? Mine was cold, and I tried running it for 10 minutes but it made no difference. The dealership quoted 3 hours for the labor. I really would prefer to do it myself but don't want to break anything.