1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ecoboost spark plug change

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by coolzzy, Jun 3, 2018.

1. 99WhiteC5Coupe

99WhiteC5Coupe Full Access Members

After this thread, I changed the original spark plugs in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new.

I did the work with the engine cold. The coils were extremely difficult to remove. I used a thick plastic trim pry tool to remove several of the coils. Some of the coils could be rotated slightly, which helped. I felt as though some of the coils were sticking at the top seal, not the boot around the spark plugs. I used a small plastic trim tool to slide under the top of the coil seal, and break its contact with the metal plug tubes.

I eventually got all the coils off and replaced the spark plugs. I used a liberal amount of silicone dielectric grease on the top portion of the coils before I reinstalled them, especially around the collar seal - to help in future replacement.

Ford designed the coils very poorly and made an easy maintenance job very difficult. I would guess it took me about two hours of time. If the dealer is charging three hours of labor - they know how difficult it is, but that still seems very excessive for a trained mechanic. I wonder what the actual “book time” is?

I do not tow, and use top tier fuel. At 45,xxx miles - the spark plugs were black and burned, with the electrode gap opened. The plugs looked like they had 200,000 miles on them.

2. 3tonsoffun

3tonsoffun Full Access Members

Takes me 25 minutes to change mine on my 2016. Step colder 542s gapped at 0.028” with 5 star 93 perf

3. JasonH

JasonH Full Access Members

I finally finished. It was an ordeal. Unless you change them frequently, it might be worthwhile to have the dealer do it. Apart from getting the coils off, which I was unable to do until I purchased some pry bars from Harbor Freight, the biggest issue was that every single plug boot tore, which necessitated me ripping them out piece by piece. This resulted in two trips to the store, once for longer pliers to rip the pieces out and buy replacement plug boots, and again for a blow gun to make sure the small pieces of rubber were out of the plug well.

My truck is around 95K miles, so I guess the rubber degraded substantially. Now I understand why the dealership quoted three hours, as I expected it to take half that time. I did it with the engine cold and I wonder if if the rubber would have been more pliable if it was warm. For anyone that attempts this, be forewarned that the plug boots may get stuck on the plugs and it be very difficult to get them out. I'll probably get rid of the vehicle before they need to be replaced again. Recommended tools:

Pittsburgh Heavy duty pry bar set (Harbor Freight) for coils
    9 - 11" inch needle pliers for boots
    Blow gun for rubber pieces.

Trainmaster likes this.
  4. coolzzy

coolzzy Full Access Members

5. JasonH

JasonH Full Access Members

Thanks! Unfortunately I learned of its existence after the boots ripped. I didn't know how likely it was that the boots would rip during removal when I started the process. Hopefully someone doing maintenance in the near future will come across this thread.

6. rdlangston13

rdlangston13 Full Access Members

I found just grabbing them with larger channel locks works REALLY good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. OGBobbyJohnson

OGBobbyJohnson Member

We used a 1/2in piece of PEX and tapered the outside edges. Worked fantastic.