Ecoboost tuning info that may help others...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this while searching for some more information on one of the many tuning devices available for the Ecoboost engines.

This was lifted from another forum and I'm not sure if it's a commercial to sell additional parts/kits or if in fact we read between the lines, Livernois MS is saying that they are seeing rod failures when our engines are modded to perform about 450rwhp? I am not sure so I have listed the entire statement and leave it to the reader to interpret what it means:

Livernois Motorsports
313 561 5500
Elite Member

www.livernoismotorsports.com

Don't let this happen to your 3.5L!!

Starting with a great foundation is the way to build solid home that will stand for years to come. This is the same aspect when it comes to your motor, especially your 3.5L EcoBoost motor.

Take a look at the photos and see what happens when a stock block is pushed to the breaking point. The stock metals constructed to form the stock rod is not strong enough to handle the added boost and engine rpm. So in-turn they will crack and continue to spin inside the block causing the block to crack and even holes in the walls of the block. This is absolute catastrophic failure and will be costing you a boat load of cash!

One way to avoid this from happening and making your wallet very sad is to start with a great foundation as explained with the home example. When you are looking to push anywhere from 450 or more wheel hp/tq a new piston and rod is necessary. Here at Livernois Motorsports we have developed a solution for this issue. After many years of testing and building EcoBoost motors, we have seen all of the breaks, cracks, and destruction that could possibly happen to these blocks. That is why we have one of the best kits on the market. The Powerstorm Ultra High Performance rods and Powerstorm Ultra High Performance pistons are the best starting point. They will be able to handle all the power you can throw at them, being constructed of 4340 aircraft quality vacuum degassed rods and 2618 forged pistons.

During this process, we highly suggest to add in a set of Powerstorm Oil Pump gears made of 4140 chromolly steel. This will eliminate the possibility of the stock oil pump gears breaking with added crankshaft vibration, a very common cause of failure.

Below is a list of our product lines like Powerstorm pistons, rods, and short blocks!

OK, I left out the links because I do not work for them and this isn't, to my knowledge the place to provide anyone with free advertizing. I did think it important enough, especially since many of us have or are thinking of spinning our turbos up a bit.

jeff

jdeshong

Reaction score
I don't think most tunes will get you at 450hp at the wheel. Livernois 93 performance tune netted 393rwhp and stock was 316rwhp so I think the engine would be safe with a good tune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360