EGR is driving me insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CreosoteCreations

Reaction score
New to the group as an Expy owner (always wanted to have one). I'm am an F150 and Ranger enthusiast as well.

Anyhow, I've just picked up an 02 Expedition - Eddie Bauer - 5.4L w/ 147k miles for a only dime more than a handful of pocket lint, so to speak. The interior is pristine and the body is in good shape that is until you open the doors or crawl under it. Lol. It's got it's problems, of course. Most of which have been addressed. Tie rods, sway bar links, shocks, brake lines and exhaust. You guessed it...RUST.

In replacing and patching the exhaust, I decided to keep the original manifolds and naturally the EGR tube and manifold connector were completely trashed. I've found a replacement tube just as easy as I took the old one off the engine but I can't seem to find a replacement connector that attaches the tube to the manifold anywhere. The connector is simply a 3/4 MIP male to 3/4 FIP male fitting. Just a typical gas fitting but the flare on the FIP side is really shallow.

Search queries at all my local auto parts stores are the incorrect part if anything comes up at all. My own research turns up a mix of about 10 different parts each one different and when ordered and tested they do not fit.

I thought I was clever and tried a hydraulic hose connector with the same thread maps necessary but the flared end of the fitting is too "deep" to screw into the EGR tube properly. Only the first two threads catch and I'm afraid of crossthreading or tearing out the threads on the EGR flare nut.

Can anybody help me figure out where to find this part?

Secondly, what kind of issues will the 5.4L encounter w/out the EGR if I were to remove it?

I had an F150 that ran just fine without it (didn't even throw a code) but I've also had a Ranger that wouldn't even idle after the engine got warm without it.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the fitting to a machine shop and have them machine it to suit?

OP
OP
CreosoteCreations

CreosoteCreations

Reaction score
Never considered reaching out to a machine shop. In fact, I'm not even aware of one in my area.

However, I've managed to find the Ford part number and a dealer for the part via email exchange with a retired Ford tech. It's strictly a Ford manufactured component which is why it's so difficult to find. Plus, Ford making their engines modular units just convolutes things even more.

The part# is XL3Z9F485AA for reference.

The big downside is that this little thing costs a whopping 30 bucks on average before shipping. RIDICULOUS!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If thirty bucks solves your problem, I think you're doing pretty well. You're lucky it's not a BMW. You'd be paying $300.

I'm surprised your manifold is in good shape.

Tasca has the fitting for $23; maybe that will help your pain but shipping would probably get you up to $30 anyway.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The big downside is that this little thing costs a whopping 30 bucks on average before shipping. RIDICULOUS!

Definitely check shipping. When I was looking for a part recently (updated USB hub to support CarPlay) a dealer a few hours drive away quoted $10 less than anyone else, but then tacked on $15 in shipping and it was an "online order only" price. Call them, if I drove over and got it, it was the same price as online price+shipping. Got my local dealer to match the in store price. I could have gone $5 cheaper with free shipping from another dealer online, but waiting for it to ship and arrive was not worth $5 savings at the time.

Shipping was ridiculous because the box is about the size of two packs of cards , and weighs next to nothing.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not hit a wrecking yard in your area, and pull one off. The other option that sometimes works is hit an ace hardware, or equivalent and go through their plumbing, and their accessories section, where all the nuts and bolts are. You'd be amazed what they have. If all else fails spring the $30.00 and fix your problem. Just going for drinks is more than that!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CreosoteCreations

CreosoteCreations

Reaction score
Well, I bit a hole through my bottom lip and bought the part. The 3 local junkyards either didn't have anything with this particular engine or the part was just as bad as mine.

So, 49 bucks later I'm back up and running (the wife wanted this thing on the road ASAP lol). Runs like a top...well, for an hour or so anyway. Service popped on with a nasty fuel knock. It's the p0174 (lean code) so now I'm off to find a vacuum leak before I wrench the O2 sensors back out.

Thanks for pitchin' in, folks! I don't know why but the online Ford community is always fun to be part of for some reason.

Plati

Reaction score
Make sure you check that PCV vacuum elbow
easy fix if thats it

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford made this motor for over 10yrs and put them in vans and F150s. Try the dealer, Napa , Ebay or local wrecking yard. If yours went, so did others. There may be a newer part, sitting on a wrecked vehicle. It sounds like you are trying to do a bootleg fix. 1998-2010 Mustang GT owners use a EGR delete plate(with headers, off road exhaust). I am not sure the results, but it may work. The EGR may burn off excess fuel, before entering converters. I think you may want to keep it.