Electric radiator fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at buy flex-a-lite dual 15" radiator fans... any pointers or suggestions or lessons learned for removing clutch fan and going electric?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump... picked out efans from flex-lite... direct fit... $500

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party but my suggestion, get a good fan controller. Not sure what yours may have come with but if you're interested, check out pulse width modulator fan controllers. They're expensive (~$150) but they vary fan RPM based on temp. instead of being On/Off at a certain temperature. They're expensive but pretty cool. I'm looking into them right now. Here is an example: http://www.haydenauto.com/Featured Products-Digital Fan Controller/Content.aspx

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flex - lite kit had everything needed...

Shabadoo

Reaction score
I had a feeling it might. Good luck with the install!

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have to buy it

Shabadoo

Reaction score
My apologies, I misinterpreted. In that case I'll offer what I have learned. I'm assuming these are the fans you found: https://www.flex-a-lite.com/dual-15...ull-shroud-and-variable-speed-controller.html.

The first set of fans I had were dual 13 in. pulling 1560 CFM and 13 amps each. The CFM was too low for days 85+ F but the one you're looking at goes well beyond what those fans did so no issues there.

However, even with a total amperage draw of 26 I saw some dimming of the headlights at idle on hot nights w/ the stock 130 amp alternator on mine. Granted, I only had on/off fans. The ones you're looking at can vary from 60 - 100% within a 10 degree window. You shouldn't have this issue but its something to think about, especially if you already have a lot of electrical accessories.

It looks like the thermostat that comes with it is the kind you insert into the radiator. I've used one of these along with the threaded insert which go into the block. Both work well but I felt like the threaded inserts gave better readings. I don't have any data to support this though.

I chose to put together my own kit so there are issues associated with that however, if you're buying this kit you shouldn't have any installation issues. Hopefully this information helps somewhat. It's just a few things to think about before doing the conversion. Overall, I'm glad I did the conversion but I haven't gotten huge MPG or power gains from it like some others have reported. I'm not as vigilant when it comes to logging MPG though.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate it... points noted for when I buy and install

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know what to say other then.... that was/is a huge talk about on the F250/350 forums.
There general feel is that the clutch/fan does not have enough parasitic drag to make a difference and the cooling difference is no better with or without the electric fans. It’s a coin flip a lot of things I read and have seen is $ spent = savings in ones eyes. Pen to paper it comes down negotiable

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The census on previous threads on here that I've read over the years say it's worth it...a couple mpg increase and response... nothing major... plus to me... one less thing in the way too change water pump