Electric running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone has issues with their electric running boards, let me know I found a good fix for them that has been lasting 3 years now

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone has issues with their electric running boards, let me know I found a good fix for them that has been lasting 3 years now

This sounds like an ad for a MLM

“Interested in making money AND losing weight? Send me a PM!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think what Carymccarr is trying to say is post up this cure of yours lets see it.

OP
OP
Scott Carden

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2014 that I bought just a couple years old. A one owner with low miles. After a year or so the driver side running board started sticking. I saw videos on YouTube where guys spray them down with penetrating fluid and they work again..... for a while. I wanted a more permanent fix and after investigating the cost of replacement. I unbolted the boards from the frame, unplugged them and flipped them over on a couple saw horses. After examining them I decided to drill a small 1/8 hole in the top of the gear case in a spot I could easily get to once the boards were back on the truck. I them filled the gear cases half full with synthetic oil and put a self tapping hex head screw back in the holes. My thought was the outside bushings I could spray down but the gear case bushings needed internal lube as well as the gears. I put the boards back on and they have been problem free for three years now. I’ve not added any lube or sprayed them down.
I put that post up after a couple guys on YouTube who had originally posted the spray lube videos reached out to me for my solution. I just wanted to see if anyone here had experienced the same issues.
I have other fixes I post from time to time on different forums. My most recent solution was to replacement of the pvc valve on a 5.4 3 valve without replacing the entire 130$ valve cover.
I have a 2014 EL king ranch 4x4 and a 2008 f150 king ranch 4x4 that I bought as a Houston flood truck. It’s a beautiful one owner that I brought back from the dead. I’ve spent 2000$ on it but also got it dirt cheap. I’ve had 3 expeditions , 1 navigator, and 4 f150s and an f350 duelly super crew diesel. I repair all my vehicles myself once the warranty runs out, so I guess I have a little bit of experience with fords

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I put that post up after a couple guys on YouTube who had originally posted the spray lube videos reached out to me for my solution. I just wanted to see if anyone here had experienced the same issues.
Nice, so why dont you make a youtube video of your fix? how about a link? Pics are always nice too.

OP
OP
Scott Carden

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I’ll get around to it, I’ve been asked for videos before. I just start working on things and the last thing I think of is making a video with my iPhone. I should get a tripod off Amazon and set it up. I have pics of some of my work.18319383-5229-4C77-8861-E2B86D6CE912.jpeg08E9C6AF-12AD-45AA-8448-3E517A7C2F0E.jpeg07120FCC-CA5D-4C25-894B-73EC4440B808.jpeg05E36ACD-E966-467C-8290-16348939DA57.jpeg

OP
OP
Scott Carden

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The box is made to be removed and unplugged easily. There is a power disconnect under the hood with a key.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!

I know it's been three years so you probably don't have any pics of the actual work.

If you wouldn't mind providing a few more details for a step by step guide with the parts and current pics (no need to take anything apart, just for reference) we would all appreciate it.