Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lwuajiro

Reaction score
Have a 2003 Expy that is currently under “renovation”.
I’m having electrical issues and working to solve them, but I’m stocked!
Issues:
#1- Reverse lights are not turning on and fuse #14 continues to blow when ignition is turned to power.
Research suggested the Transmission Range Sensor (DTR) may be bad. Changed the DTR and the problem continues. Fuse #14 continues to pop.

#2- The right side mirror blinker does not work.
Changed the bulb. Still doesn’t work.

#3- Door ajar warning does not go away after verifying all doors are locked. Interior dome lights do not turn off unless the reset button on the dash is pressed. (Related)?
May have one of the door sensors stuck or damaged. Tried the WD40 trick didn’t work.

#4- None of the windows roll up or down. I haven’t got to even look at this one as it was 2 days ago. It stared after replacing the DTR but also noticed one of the rear window defroster connectors had broken off. Don’t know if they may be related.

#4- Power door locks do not engage after driving. They used to lock automatically when the truck drove away, but now they don’t;however, If you press the button in the door they will lock.

If there is/are threads that address any of this issues, please let me know and if you can provide the link. It’d be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lwuajiro

David E

Reaction score
It does look like you have some gremlins around...
On my Explorer (pre expedition days) I had many similar issues (Lights, locks, windows etc) that ended up being the wires that go through hinge from frame side to door side. I ended up tracing a short in that bundle and another short on the floor bundle (on the edge of the door opening frame bottom side -- not the door itself).
When I got my expedition it was not running nor would it even start... no response at all as you turn the key.. I traced it to a blown fuse either #14 or #12 (not sure) Burned through quite a few fuses... Then I got me a reset-able fuse. (be cautious with these as there is something wrokng that sets that fuse!!!) traced the short somewhere on the main braid that's connected to the injectors and is being jammed on the passenger side of the engine (going down to the ac compressor area)
I believe in my case it gets pinched and shorts. I did not want to replace the main braid nor open it up looking for the short. (just wiggled it till next time this happens)
I would say the best it to get a voltmeter and start at the edge of each system. See if you get the right signal on "end users" --- this takes time and patience.
Let me know if you want the wiring chart for fuse #14. Good luck!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Several things get power from fuse #14, so it could be a few things ( not just the DTR switch...). Do you have the ForScan app on a laptop? You can use it to troubleshoot your door jamb switches and see which one(s) are bad. After you turn the key off, does the radio turn off if you open the passenger front door ? How 'bout if you open the driver's door ?

Attachments

• 2003 Expedition_ Fuses Relays.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lwuajiro

Reaction score
Well, used Forscan and find out the bad sensor was the rear right door. At the same time tried to program some new ignition keys and now none of the keys work, including the old one!
Solve one add one….lol

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you only had one working key to start with, you have to let ForScan delete all keys and start from scratch. The new keys must be cut before they can be programmed into the system. With the key you're trying to program, if you stick it in the ignition switch, and Forscan shows a DTC code of 1601, the key transponder is recognized and just needs to be programmed into the system by ForScan. So delete all keys, then program new keys, and it should work.

OP
OP
L

Lwuajiro

Reaction score
OK, I think I'm making progress here. The key issue was resolved, now I have two (2) programmed keys.
Used Forscan and determined the bad door sensor. Is the right rear door, which has a hit on the pillar so may be that the sensor is not sensing the frame thus giving the faulty reading. Will pull the dent out and go from there.
The issue with blowing fuse# 14 I think is resolved. Disconnected the transmission speed sensor and the fuse stop blowing. Replaced the sensor Motorcraft part number (1L3Z-7H103-AB and so far the fuse is holding.
The radio is working again, and so are the windows.

The remaining gremlins are:
1-No power to fuse 7,8,35,36 and 42
2-Right side mirror blinker not working
3-Power door locks do not engage after driving. They used to lock automatically when the truck drove away, but now they don’t; however, If you press the button in the door they will lock.

Thanks for the advise and suggestions. It has been great help!

JR