Electrical issue need help asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The black/orange wire is for the sender connection to the instrument cluster.
I would disconnect the cluster and check that wire for "short to ground". Also check the resistance of the sending unit.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Just for the record that wiring diagram is 2003, not 1999.
I didn't know your year when I posted that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Stamp for the post. I was going to look up his wire in my 2000 book, but forgot the other day.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JOlsen

Reaction score
Does anyone have the wire colors for 99? Like I said according to my Haynes manual it said ground

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JOlsen

Reaction score
The black/orange wire is for the sender connection to the instrument cluster.
I would disconnect the cluster and check that wire for "short to ground". Alao check the resistance of the sending unit.
Ok stamp I will try this Sunday. I definitely dont get what's going on so that would make some sense if it's the actual cluster. I have had an issue with the odometer reading since I got the truck and have just been too lazy to fix the cold solder problem

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the diagrams for the engine performance section that includes the fuel pump circuit.

The cluster hasn't been proved to be the cause of your issue. You should check the harness first. The odometer is from cold solder joints usually.

Attachments

• 1999.1.pdf
    112.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1999.2.pdf
    95.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1999.3.pdf
    101 KB · Views: 7
  • 1999.4.pdf
    104.3 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
J

JOlsen

Reaction score
Yeah I know about the odometer. I did separate the wire and the vehicle side stays ground. And the fuel pump side throws 12.4 volts. So I think the issue lies within the pump/sending unit
At least I hope. But I am not looking forward to dropping a tank with 25 gallons in it lol

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Measure the resistance between the black/orange wire and the yellow/white wire at the cluster or fuel pump connector.
Service manual test procedure for the gauge runs resistance between 15 and 145 ohms. If the sender reads close to 0 the sender is at fault.

If you have to drop the tank, remove the fuel ine at the rail or remove the inline fuel filter, add on a few feet of fuel line. Use the fuel pump to empty the tank into suitable containers. When you are ready to pump fuel just jump the fuel pump relay.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How come pumps/sending units never fail on an empty tank? Its always within a day after we tanked up!

Plati

Reaction score
How come pumps/sending units never fail on an empty tank? Its always within a day after we tanked up!

Its because they fail on empty tanks. Really should never let your tank go empty.
That would be like going to fridge and there's no BEER in there :cheers:

They fail on the transition from an empty tank to a full one, then when you fill it up and drive it you find out!!!