Electrical issue - Radio,windows,sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a 2003 Expedition that recently started experiencing electrical issues. Sometimes the radio, power window, sunroof and other items will not work. Then all of a sudden they magically start working again... When it does if I hit a large bump in the road they quit again. Anyone else experience this? I’d appreciate any advise pointing me in the right direction.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ground to the BCM Body Control Module?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wouldn't other things fail of a BCM had a wiring fault? Or do think that some other functions have their own grounds. On these vehicles it's a smart junction box and a generic electronics module.

I agree with a wiring fault. All sounds like Circuits that work in the RUN position of the ignition switch.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reaction score
Appears likely is related to the cluster... I say this due to if I press the reset switch hard enough radio powers on then the windows work, sunroof, rear vent windows open etc...

Anyone experience this prior? Possibly bad connection will remove this weekend. Just curious if others have had similar problem and if so what was the source of your issue..

OP
OP
Reaction score
Removed cluster assembly and inspected. No burnt spots seen and all connection were tight.. however, since I’ve put back together I am no longer having any issues...coincidence??? We shall see. If you have experienced the same let me know....

OP
OP
Reaction score
Problem isolated..

Issue is instrument cluster not powering relay (power goes from cluster to accessory relay)

In return, I traced down to the battery saver relay. It is part of the CJB (central junction box). You have to unsolder it and install new and resolder. Have relay on order will update once installed.

This is a common issue so hopefully this info will help others.

Last edited:

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem isolated..

Issue is instrument cluster not powering relay (power goes from cluster to accessory relay)

In return, I traced down to the battery saver relay. It is part of the CJB (central junction box). You have to unsolder it and install new and resolder. Have relay on order will update once installed.

This is a common issue so hopefully this info will help others.

HI, so are you saying I pull out the guage cluster? And in there I can see the CJB to find the battery saver relay?

Normally when I start my '04 everything works for a few minutes then radio goes off and windows are not functional. However, tonight, they will not function at all.

Any input appreciated.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HI, so are you saying I pull out the guage cluster? And in there I can see the CJB to find the battery saver relay?

Normally when I start my '04 everything works for a few minutes then radio goes off and windows are not functional. However, tonight, they will not function at all.

Any input appreciated.
Hi Elite Ford. Do you have this issue too? This is the first I have seen you post in this tread.
It may be best to start a fresh thread just to keep the issues separated.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: