Electrical Problems, No Power, No Crank, No Start, No Lights (Partially Fixed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPDR

Reaction score
2008 Ford Expedition Limited

Recently purchased but trying to fix the problems it has. Bought it without the power mirrors, heated mirrors, power folding mirrors, drivers seat controls, passenger seat controls, drivers heated/cooled seat, and passenger cooled seat all not working. When you enable the easy entry the driver's seat will move about an inch. The power pedals also work

I pulled the passenger seat out to clean and inspect it. Flipping it over to inspect I found bare wire from rubbing on the seat rails. I cleaned it up taped it and plugged it in to test if it worked. It now does the same as the driver's seat, you can hear the motor try to engage but not actually move. I then went and inspected the wiring from the seat to the fuse panel in the passenger compartment. Couple of sketchy looking slices from Ford pealed the tape back and they metered okay.

Decided to go get some more heat shrink and split loom to repair the seats permanently. Went to start it: key off, key to on, relay click accessories come on, relay click accessories turn off, relay click accessories turn off. This will go on until you turn the key to off. Cleaned the grounds by passenger fuse box and made sure they were tight, same problem.

Came back to it a little later turn key to on and same problem. Turned key off and got a rapidfire relay on off cycle. Turn key to on it goes off. Pulled fuse 5 and the key off relay stopped. That is for Keypad Illumination, 3rd Row Enable, Brake Shift Interlock (BSI), SPDJB

It looks like PATS has been enabled. Pulled the ground off the battery and called it a night.

Anyone have any clue what wiring gremlin was summoned and how to banish it? Or where to find accurate wiring info?

Video #1
Video #2

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPDR

SPDR

Reaction score
Update: It now starts and drives but still some problems remain.

I went out and worked on it the next day. Before I put power to anything I wanted to hunt any more wiring problems down. Under the driver's side dash I found a trailer brake controller harness plugged in with exposed wiring. I removed it and saved that for later.

Under the passenger side I found that a new blower motor resistor pigtail had been crimped in and had rubbed through in one wire. That was cut soldered and repaired.

In the harness in the passenger side footwell another factory Ford wiring splice was broken. Cut out, soldered, heat shrink tubing, and repaired.

Next I got the meter out and measured the resistance of the grounds. Nothing out of the ordinary. Measured the resistance of the positive wires and checked the fusable links. Everything was good here too. Took a meter and every fuse in the car. Found the passenger seat fuse was blown. All of the trailer wiring related fuses were also blown. Doesn't take much to figure out the culprit for these. Everything else was fine.

After about 14-16 hours I reconnected the battery. No key off problems. I then turned the key to on and no relay problems here. PATS light also was back to normal. I then did a voltage drop test and everything was good here.

So I started it and it fired up. It then spewed out a pile of BCM and ABS codes. Saved them cleared them and started it again. Most went away except for a couple.
C1125 (Brake Fluid Level Sensor Input Circuit Failure)
Plus one for a CD Player internal fault, but I am not worried about that one.

Heated and cooled seats work now.
Passenger seat movement works now.
Pedal movement continue to work.

Power mirrors do not work.
Driver's seat movement does not work.
Memory functions do not work.
Front turn signals do not work.
Mirror turn signals do not work.

OP
OP
SPDR

SPDR

Reaction score
Next plan of attack is to install a new module for the power seat under the drivers side. Anyone else have ideas on what to check? Or have a wiring book for the 2008 and can look up where the Brake Fluid Level Sensor goes into the SPDJB? Mine is still in the mail.

sandbuster

Reaction score
It sounds like you have decent TS skills - now spend $30 for a wiring diagram book on eBay. Happy trails - I mean wiring.....

OP
OP
SPDR

SPDR

Reaction score
All wires that I have found have tested good and power into the modules is good. I guess all that is left is throw the new module in under the drivers seat. If that doesn't fix it, then it goes off to the local Ford garage to get the Smart Power Distribution Junction Box reprogrammed. I did find a couple posts and youtube videos of people with similar problems on F series trucks. They ended up replacing and reprogramming the SPDJB to get their front turn signals back.

Anyone have any other ideas? I am running out of things to check.

Has anyone dug this deep with Forscan? I know there is some SJB options but not a lot of documentation.

OP
OP
SPDR

SPDR

Reaction score
Well the new seat module did not fix it.

Forscan did not fix it either so tomorrow I will go dig through the lots to find a new SPDJB and reprogram it. I have made headway on decoding the 08 model year because of this though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni