End My Oil Crisis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nicholas

Reaction score
I know engines are bound to burn oil but this is getting ridiculous. High mileage, no leaks, no CEL. Engine has never been rebuilt. I find myself burning a quart of oil almost every week probably 250-300 miles a week. I was running 10W-30 then my father switched it to 20W-50. No difference at all, it is the SuperTech brand. Is there anything I can do to reduce the oil consumption? Also what oil filter would be best?

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4 2WD
339XXX Miles

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
I know engines are bound to burn oil but this is getting ridiculous. High mileage, no leaks, no CEL. Engine has never been rebuilt. I find myself burning a quart of oil almost every week probably 250-300 miles a week. I was running 10W-30 then my father switched it to 20W-50. No difference at all, it is the SuperTech brand. Is there anything I can do to reduce the oil consumption? Also what oil filter would be best?

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4 2WD
339XXX Miles
Does your engine have the 2v or 3v? Everyone in my household drives an expy, mine is a '99 2v 5.4 with 186,000 and runs like a dream with no issues. But my old lady's is an 03' with the 3v 5.4 and hers does the exact same thing at 160,000.. The 3 valve engines are VERY problematic, that being one of the problems.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Reaction score
Does your engine have the 2v or 3v? Everyone in my household drives an expy, mine is a '99 2v 5.4 with 186,000 and runs like a dream with no issues. But my old lady's is an 03' with the 3v 5.4 and hers does the exact same thing at 160,000.. The 3 valve engines are VERY problematic, that being one of the problems.

I have the 2v, its a daily driver for everyone in my family. Very reliable.

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
I have the 2v, its a daily driver for everyone in my family. Very reliable.
My 97 back when had a valve cover leak at the back of the engine and it was leaking into the valley underneath the intake manifold. It had 340,000 when I sold it. I'd check there?

OP
OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Reaction score
My 97 back when had a valve cover leak at the back of the engine and it was leaking into the valley underneath the intake manifold. It had 340,000 when I sold it. I'd check there?

I could check but I haven't seen/smelt any oil or smoke from the engine bay. I will check all around as soon as I get a chance.

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
I could check but I haven't seen/smelt any oil or smoke from the engine bay. I will check all around as soon as I get a chance.
Mine didn't smoke or smell, to be honest with you that part of the engine would almost stay cool to the touch.. It just puddled a little bit. But I never fixed it before I sold it and my buddy that bought it never did either. He still drives it an hour to work daily and it's now at 400,000.

OP
OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Reaction score
Mine didn't smoke or smell, to be honest with you that part of the engine would almost stay cool to the touch.. It just puddled a little bit. But I never fixed it before I sold it and my buddy that bought it never did either. He still drives it an hour to work daily and it's now at 400,000.

Thats crazy high mileage, that gives me hope for mine to reach that high.

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
Thats crazy high mileage, that gives me hope for mine to reach that high.
Man expys are tanks. I have an 01 myself that at 300,000 and it runs and drives like a dream with no issues. Keep an eye on the oil and change it regularly and it'll run forever

OP
OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Reaction score
Yeah honestly it burns so much, i always fill it back up. I don't even think there's a time when the oil is bad. I want to change the filter every now and then though. I just don't know which one will last long enough and the intervals.

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
Yeah honestly it burns so much, i always fill it back up. I don't even think there's a time when the oil is bad. I want to change the filter every now and then though. I just don't know which one will last long enough and the intervals.
I used to manager a Valvoline, and I SWEAR by their products. I use nothing but Valvoline Max life synthetic blend high mileage and Purolator oil filters. Needless to say my expys have served me well

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes