End of the line for our 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We got her back in Mar 2015 with over 145K miles. It appears that the oil pump stopped working. My wife went out to run errands and while driving she noted the oil gauge went down to zero and then back up a few times. She was not far from home and though she could make back ok. By then the engine was making a very loud tap so I decided to park it for good. She had over 190K on the odometer and in need of a major work.
She was burning oil when we got her and got progressively worse. While doing a tranny filter change I found metal shavings on the pan. Front end suspension was in need of repair and many other minor items so its best to let her rest. Amazingly she still ran pretty good and strong and for that I will always be thankful.

And also would like to thank all of you fellow members for your input and dedication to help others. I would have been a very hard task without you. Thank you!

OP
OP
Ed_Strong

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
She did earn it!
My wife loved driving her around. If she was in better condition I would have tried reviving her. But the shavings found in the tranny did for me. Too much of a risk plus all the other stuff added to that equals too much investment.
Sorry about your loss as well

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Ed, hopefully you'll get a newer expy. Their actually good Suvs, sounds like you got one of the poorly maintained ones. If not hang around the forum anyway, always good to have one of our regulars from 2 year's back. Me I'm going on 4 years November.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ed_Strong

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks but not sure I want to go back to Ford at this time. I'm not sure I can afford a newer one, plus I have not had good experiences with their new engine designs and experiments thru the years of owning their products.
And by the looks of it, they're still making them and passing those mistakes to the customer without any sense of responsibility. And those are some pretty costly mistakes to fix.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they're good vehicles but these experimentation flaws are too much to handle at this time. It's true that once those mistakes are fixed and corrected, you'll have a great riding machine, but the cost doesn't fit into my budget right now.

Wife still wants another one, but obviously she's never had to fix one... LOL

I'll stop by from time to time to see how things are moving along!

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally understand. I too am used to bullet proof vehicles like Mustangs, Lincoln's, Datsun Z's. I've been incredibly lucky so far, but I started out with a 64,000 mile 2000 model. These vehicles are either real good, or real bad, no in-between!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ed_Strong

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys...
I still miss the old girl!
But sadly I am done with Ford
Great vehicle but very poor engineering