Engine dies while driving 2006 P0605 P0016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4XFORD

Reaction score
Mystery engine stall at any speed, never on Idle.
P0605. P0016

2006 5.4 3v 4x4

Engine dies at speed, while up acceleration steady speed and de acceleration.

Red security light will come on momentarily then engine stalls, power still remains on in vehicle, lights stay on,,, to restart will not restart UNLESS THE KEY IS TURNED OFF.
A restart will happen if the key is cycled completely off. No CEL on occasion, most of the time CEL will flag with same codes every time.
No loss of power prior, just a dead stall, with power remaining on.

Any off the chart clues ?
Any have same symptoms ?

PCM. Crank Sensor ? Replacement?

Or something else ??

Any advice or help

Thanks

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel Pump would be my first choice, but one of those codes indicates an ECU ROM error.

OP
OP
4XFORD

4XFORD

Reaction score
Disconnected the easy passenger side front top “ variable timing solenoid”. If that is what it is called on a 2006 5.4 3v …
Drove about 35 miles or so to do a drive cycle ….. MAGIC ! The motor only shut off 1 time !
Got a CEL on, but it actually stopped stalling and needing a restart .
Wonderful, at this point the Tech in my head needs to know the entire story,
,,, ( which we’ll get to the bottom of this )
The happy kid in my head just wants to leave that freaking solenoid disconnected !

I do not know why at this point, but it really does run 90% better ! At least it doesn’t quit just driving along in traffic…
I will disconnect the drivers side and see where she go….
Stay tuned…

OP
OP
4XFORD

4XFORD

Reaction score
Thank you for getting this to the correct forum !!
I do not know why my typing fingers could not coordinate a simpl question

I am hoping that this little tidbit of info can help someone or at least get some folks
“ untangled “ in a web of no knowledge or experience with a similar problem.
TY

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The P0016 is a VCT solenoid code. I believe the intake on bank 1, but you would need to verify. Perhaps the solenoid is toast.

OP
OP
4XFORD

4XFORD

Reaction score
Thanks Jason H and Arthuryy
For the response.
I have disconnected the VCT on the front passenger valve cover the symptoms have dissipated like 90% !
Before disconnecting the pass front VCT, this thing would die every 10 minutes.
I would have to throw it in neutral while it was still rolling ….. ( sometimes in a turn )!dead engine, cycle the key to by h ñ

OP
OP
4XFORD

4XFORD

Reaction score
Thanks Jason H and Arthuryy
For the response.
I have disconnected the VCT on the front passenger valve cover the symptoms have dissipated like 90% !
Prior to stalling about every 10 minutes,
I would have to throw it in neutral while it was still rolling ….. ( sometimes in a turn ) dead engine, cycle the key to off and then restart the engine, it would run ok, small miss ,then erratically maybe stall immediately or run for 1/2 hour , ALWAYS A DANGEROUS SITUATION. So just by disconnecting that passenger side front VCT, it stopped stalling by like 90% !! Obviously I need to research the VCT operation and see how it all works, but I am hoping that If I disconnect the driver VCT , all the stalling will cease… Thank you folks again !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni