Engine knocking/clacking under load.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Imightadid

Reaction score
I have a 98 expedition 4x4 with a 4.6 romeo. 222k miles. I'm experiencing a lot of knocking/clacking/pinging when accelerating, especially on inclines. The problem seems to be getting g worse. It does not do this in neutral even at higher rpms. I've read so many conflicting opinions about this and one mechanic even told me that the engine was likely at the end of its life. He called it piston slap but it only makes these sounds under load or heavy acceleration. It has 222k miles so maybe he's right? I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. The sensors were pretty dirty but they look clean now. This does not appear to have helped. I'm on a tight budget and this is my only vehicle. I was planning on moving about 950 miles but I'm feeling very insecure about this vehicle.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It says the causes of your problem may be bad fuel, a bad knock sensor. Is anything wrong with your spark plugs?

jayarebee

Reaction score
My 2000 Tahoe keeps getting a code for Knock Sensors, we are going to try and by-pass for inspection with a kit/part... But I'm not worried about the Chevy I worry about my Ford more as the Chevy runs 100% fine, sadly if I clear the code it pops up after 30+ miles.

My '99 Expedition 4.6L has an old crappy timing chain on the engine and it likes to slap while accelerating.. We are keeping a close eye on it as well as the serpentine belt.

I recently replaced 2 O2 Sensors (Left Side only) and got rid of a the P0174 code which was driving me nuts, I could feel the sensor was bad as if I stopped at a light or stop-sign I would feel a little stutter ''hiccup'' when hitting the gas... fortunately gone for now.

As for the sounds from the engine only thing we can do is possibly replace the timing chain which would be a super fun job, but if it helps keep my truck on the road for another few years would be worth the work.