Engine light flashing when I accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbro210

Reaction score
Hi all! I’ve got a 2015 expy with 104k miles. As I accelerated onto the freeway on-ramp tonight, the engine began to stutter and the engine light started blinking on and off. I eased of the gas, maintained speed until I could pull off at the next exit. I pulled into a parking lot and just drove around at 10/15 mph for a minute trying to listen to the engine but I couldn’t hear anything out of the ordinary. Another minute and the light stopped blinking and stayed off. I drove the rest of the way home without issues or blinking lights. Is this an early sign of a common issue with the eco boost turbo or the drivetrain? Any suggestions, troubleshooting tips or next steps are appreciated.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all! I’ve got a 2015 expy with 104k miles. As I accelerated onto the freeway on-ramp tonight, the engine began to stutter and the engine light started blinking on and off. I eased of the gas, maintained speed until I could pull off at the next exit. I pulled into a parking lot and just drove around at 10/15 mph for a minute trying to listen to the engine but I couldn’t hear anything out of the ordinary. Another minute and the light stopped blinking and stayed off. I drove the rest of the way home without issues or blinking lights. Is this an early sign of a common issue with the eco boost turbo or the drivetrain? Any suggestions, troubleshooting tips or next steps are appreciated.

You experienced a severe engine misfire, which was indicated by the flashing check-engine light.

Driving with the light flashing can quickly damage the engine and/or other components of the power train and exhaust (think catalytic converters).

You will have to have the vehicle scanned to determine what trouble code(s) are set, to begin the diagnosis.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking a failing cat. Get it scanned quickly.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From a Google search...... confirming as posted by 99WhiteC5Coupe above:

"If the check engine light happened to be flashing during these episodes of acceleration, that means there is a serious fault, such as cylinder misfiring, that requires immediate repair."

PSD Bullitt

Reaction score
The flashing engine light has happened on several occasions to my sister’s 2015. It goes into limp mode and drives home. A scan always indicating the throttle body sensor is at fault. We remove it, clean it, and it runs fine for 6 or more months before it does it again.

The flashing engine light and going into limp mode could be a serious problem but not necessarily. Get it scanned for free at an Autozone or O’Reillys and you might be able to fix it on your own

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The flashing engine light has happened on several occasions to my sister’s 2015. It goes into limp mode and drives home. A scan always indicating the throttle body sensor is at fault. We remove it, clean it, and it runs fine for 6 or more months before it does it again.

The flashing engine light and going into limp mode could be a serious problem but not necessarily. Get it scanned for free at an Autozone or O’Reillys and you might be able to fix it on your own

Ford issued a TSB regarding defective a throttle body for the 2015 - 2017 Ecodboost engines that cause the engine to lose power and go into limp mode (I don’t have a copy to post). If a specific code was set, it directed the dealer to replace the throttle body with an updated part.

You may want to replace the throttle body on your sister’s vehicle.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A flashing light usually indicates a miss. Have the plugs ever been changed?
I agree. I experienced this while towing. Went away after changing plugs. Pull the code and check for misfire code. By all accounts, the Ecoboost is hard on plugs and they're done well before 100k.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also just recently had some misfiring while towing up a grade or heavy throttle. Checked the code at O'Reilly's, cylinder one misfire. Pulled the plug, there was a crack in the ceramic. New plug solved the problem. Hopefully an easy fix to your issue. If you didn't go into limp mode I wouldn't suspect the throttle body.

CAKD07

Reaction score
Heed all the responses above. I had this with my '05 Expy. First thing get the codes checked to narrow down he issue. Probably a misfire on one or more cylinders and/or a bad cat. I was told by a good shop if you get 100k on them you're lucky. If you haven't already replace the plugs, coils, and boots on all cylinders, especially if you plan on keeping it. I did that as well as the cats and mine ran for another 150K.