Engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you can't argue with success. The only problem I would worry about is extreme cold weather, especially in start up. The question is are clearances the same between an F 250 engine, and an Expedition? They suggest a certain weight oil for various reasons. One is clearances used for rod and main bearings, as well as piston to cylinder wall clearance, and temperatures. Another factor is fuel mileage. In the past here in San Francisco, I have run 20/50 castrol petroleum oil in all my vehicles. I've had 2 Datsun z's, 3 5.0 liter mustangs, 82- 86, and 2 Lincoln mark 7's , their recommendation from Ford was anywhere from 5/30 to 10/40. I never had an issue with all 7 vehicles. Maybe a lot of these problems with noise are from Ford not doing their homework. Problem is if one fails due to wrong oil viscosity, then the lawyers kick in. I would say try the heavier oil. If you run into problems, drop the heavy stuff, and go back to 5/w30! If it takes care of the clatter, maybe all are forum members will benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
[QIUOTE="1955moose, post: 247501, member: 49625"]Well you can't argue with success. The only problem I would worry about is extreme cold weather, especially in start up. The question is are clearances the same between an F 250 engine, and an Expedition? They suggest a certain weight oil for various reasons.[/QUOTE]

I've been researching and researching and found a Ford Memo sent to dealerships in 2001 that states that the reason Ford started pushing 5/20 was for FUEL ECONOMY. They found the thinner oil allowed the engine to operate easier and had the opposite effect of increasing fuel economy which was big push for SUVs during that Presidency.

Here is the line from that internal Ford memo:

"Q. Why did Motorcraft® release SAE 5W-20 motor oil?
A. It was the right thing to do for the consumer and for the environment. It was one of Ford's first steps in working to improve the fuel economy of our SUVs by 25% by the 2005 calendar year. SAE 5W-20 improves fuel consumption by approximately 0.6 percent. For the 2001 fleet, this amounts to reducing fuel usage by more than 21 million gallons per year. This reduction in gasoline consumption leads to a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions by 190,000 metric tons per year, which is equivalent to taking nearly 23,100 cars and trucks off the road each year.
B. Ford Motor Company has a responsibility to make its vehicles more environmentally friendly plus this is a better oil. Also, the industry is converting from GF2 level products to GF3 and Motorcraft 5W-20 is leading the way for our product line up."

Thier focus was on meeting new government standards over customer satisfaction and engine longevity.

I went ahead and bought some 15/40 and am doing an oil change tomorrow. Plus, like you said, if I notice any negative side-effects I'll immediately drain it and replace with the requested 5/20 or try 5/30.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope it works!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why diesel oil? It won't hurt anything using it on a gasoline engine, but I could be wrong. When I ran a Harley rental shop, I bought a 55 gallon drum of diesel oil, because I read that's what Harley recommended. My boss was freaking out, but we had 0 problems with the bikes we put it in. Diesel oil used to be high in zinc, great for flat tappet cams, but hasn't had any quantity of zinc for years now. Again it's your SUV. Maybe one of the other members wants to comment, that knows more than me about oils.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Holee Sheet!!!

It worked! Startup is normal without any ticking.
Oil pressure is just a hair higher but it's insignificant.

(Day 1)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems to be the season for miracles. Did you do just the oil change to the diesel oil?

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
It is the season of miracles indeed! I thank God my expy is running like normal again! Let me tell you all how it all turned out--maybe someone can learn from my experience.
So I was about 1-quart low on oil, So I went ahead and put about 1/2 quart of MMO in the engine and a few ounces in the gas tank. I ran the truck around the block a bunch of times, then I added probably about 8oz. Of tranny fluid to the engine and let it idle for about 20 minutes.
Changed the oil and filter (5w20 mobil1 synthetic high mileage and motorctaft filter). After changing my oil it all went downhill fast. The cam knocking sounded twice as loud, my idle became very rough after getting warmed up, I could hear ticking from the engine while driving, and it even stalled on me a few times. I was not at all pleased. Got a p0022 CE light code.
I had new solenoids but no time to replace them until today. The engine sounded more horrible today than ever. It was shaking violently as I pulled into my friends driveway who would help me change the solenoids. Long story short we changed em out and the engine ran so smooth on the drive home (about 30 miles). And as I listened to the engine after the drive..no knocking whatsoever. I can hardly believe it, because it would also knock at idle when it was warmed up. Im hoping that the issue is now fixed, and that I dont need to replace the phasers after all.

Can't thank you all enough for the advice and being patience with this novice DIYer.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking the worst when I read the first part of your post. Thank goodness the solenoids fixed your problem. Yours is the first I've ever heard of having such negative effects using marvel mystery oil. It's possible freeing up stuck hydraulics triggered other issues. Again glad your end result was good. I think in the future, gonna tell members of the forum , bite the bullet, and fix your problem!