Engine Oil alternativies 2019 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Good day all --

I bought a used 2019 4x4 Expedition from Hertz Rent-to-Buy. 21K miles. While they can't produce maintenance records, they claim to follow all Ford maintenance schedules to the letter. Nonetheless, I'm changing the oil anyway.

Questions:

1) Are there Ford sanctioned alternatives to the Motorcraft spec'd oil? XO-5W30-Q1SP is in the manual. Can't find anything useful online. All I find is the Motorcraft blend is specifically formulated for use with the turbocharger.

2) I have changed the oil on all previous vehicles religiously at 5K intervals. This vehicle says 10K intervals. Recommendations? Stick with 5K or is 10K alright with the synthetic blends?

J-

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have switched to all synthetic in my last 3 cars. I have run Royal Purple in all of them. One being a 2005 mustang GT with 200k+ on original motor. I change them at 10k.

The synthetic blend from motorcraft will be fine. However I might change it earlier than 10k miles

Edit: engine oil tends to be a touchy subject with car owners. Chances are the ones everyone will mention will all be good

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Opinions on oil are why most will not post on "AOT".

When someone gives you an opinion, it helps if you know a little of what might steer their opinion. I don't pay for gas for instance. This might define why mileage doesn't matter to me....(fyi- 18.4mpg since new fwiw).

You can't go wrong with Mobile 1, period. Changing at 6K roughly or when it shows 25% remaining...whichever comes first. I used Ford's syn to around 50K-55k then switched to the same Mobil 1 syn that my car uses. I build bike engines for a hobby and imho, 5-30 is borderline, I use 0-40 syn Mobile 1. Nothing wrong with what Ford recommends, I'm not saying that in any way....but they have other factors to consider like gas mileage, I do not. I put engine life at the top.

jeff

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to get wrapped up in what oil to run. Not anymore. I will say a full syn is good in a powerstroke with the oil fired injectors. Makes it start easier and run smoother. Other than a specific reason like that I would simply look for an oil that is within spec and made me feel good for whatever reason.